Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A new member of the family!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone![p]I'm Jeremy (you can call me 'jer') and this is my very first post here on the forums. I just bought my very first BGE today and I'm very excited about it! I'd love to hear any suggestions all you eggsperts might have for a n00b like me. (I've been devouring the website and the forums already, but if you want to point me at some of the more informative posts / websites, don't hesitate!)[p]If you want to know how I came about buying a BGE, here's my story:[p]Missing the tastes and smells of the good ol' BBQ, I recently spent a fair amount of time researching various natural gas (my house is plumbed for it) and propane (it's what i grew up with) grills. Before acquiring the little guy (well, BIG guy... I got the large and man that sucker is HEAVY)... I visited Costco Home in Kirkland, WA on recommendation of my parents and friends. Needless to say, I left disappointed. Not much selection, and what they had to select from -- to be blunt -- sucked.[p]I then went to Sutter Home & Hearth in Woodinville, WA. I met a man named Chip who took me on a tour of every grill in my stated price range ("out the door for under $2k") and despite looking at some nice models from Vermont Castings (some of their features really appeal to the geek in me) and Weber (build like a tank and with a great rotisserie), I was eventually -- and quite inexorably -- drawn to the strange, green, egg-shaped looking thing by the door. [p]Now that I know better, I can see that it was clearly a trap. The Big Green Egg is not haphazardly placed -- nay, it lies in wait. As you walk in, you pass right by it without giving it a second glance. The monstrous hearth that greets you inexorably draws you deeper into the store. You prowl around the accessories, then find yourself pleasantly lost in a fantasy land of gas grills (many priced well over two thousand dollars), hearths, fireplaces, tiling, and more spices than you can shake a tong at. And as you begin to reel from the dizzying array of novelties which have beset you, you begin to list towards the door. [p]And that's when it accosts you. The strangest looking grill you've ever seen. If it weren't green, you'd expect Robin Williams to pop out and announce, "Nanoo, nanoo!" (Apparently on Ork they grill out a lot; flame-retardant gauntlets seem to be standard issue.) Yet, Mork is no where to be found. Instead, you are invited to peer inside. Cracking the top, images of glass-blowers dance in your head. Indeed, it looks like a kiln in there. A kiln with a cooking surface. How bizarre![p]Of course, I would probably have left it at that, or possibly even taken home a (much more expensive) gas grill, had a friend of mine, Ken, not placed seeds of wonder in me several summers prior. You see, I once shared an office with Ken at my work, and in between getting work done we would do what all office-mates do... wax poetic about anything and everything that was of momentary interest, from computers to cookouts. Ken used to regale me with tales of The Egg. He would fulminate his desire for one to me repeatedly, yet always with a twinge of lament in his tone. You see, Ken was getting married. And buying a house. But that's not important right now.[p]What IS important is that I had heard of this contraption, even seen a picture or two on Ye Olde "Innernets"... but I had never experienced the Egg for myself. In fact, having no immediate knowledge of any Egg owners, I had long since dismissed his hyperbole-strewn ravings, filing them away as obscure anecdotes for a future party or barbecue where I found myself not too fond of the food and would need some "good lump" for a conversation.[p]As fate would have it, my mind connected the dots for me. The legend was before me, within my grasp... and the price was right. All that remained was substantiation of the rumors. Sifting the fact from the fiction. I asked Chip if he'd used one. With a knowing smile, he then gently proceeded to tell me how everything I thought I knew about grilling out and barbecue was wrong...[p]An hour later I left the store, brochure and shopping list in hand, to think things over. I went to Tully's and ordered some piping hot white jasmine tea. I read the brochure, reviewed the list, and thought deeply about it. I sipped tea and crunched numbers in my head. I prayed about it. I sipped more tea and let it all brew for a while. Eventually, I felt a peace about the decision and went straight back to Chip instead of heading straight home.[p]We piled up all the requisite accessories (including a plate setter and a pizza stone) and some optional ones (like a remote temperature monitor and a charcoal chimney starter). Twenty minutes and a few herniated discs later, I was on the road towards home with a 170 lb. monstrosity in tow... a large-sized Big Green Egg![p]Tomorrow... the setup. And after that... the fire... and then... well, we all know what comes THEN. :)[p]-jer

Comments

• jer, Welcome. We got Egged in march and hauled it from Maine to Florida for a month down there. I am already trying to justify getting a small for here at home to go with the large, they seem to have a flocking instinct, but we want to have a med in Fl next year so we do not have to haul the large again. You need to get a paella pan on your list of needs. Just got ours and did one for supper last night and oh my god was that good. This forum is priceless, I do not post much but I do read it 3-4 times a day. Sick huh? I have so many recipes book marked on here that I need 6 eggs going 7 days a week if I want to cook them in this life time. The best thing is having company for dinner and a few weeks later they are trying to invite themselves to dinner and something off the egg again! Had 12 over for ribs Thursday for a birthday dinner and everyone raved. Did calzones and pizza another night. I have never had anything that could cover such a broad range of temptures and turn out such great products with such little effort on the cooks part! LOL welcome to the cult! Julie
  • jer
    jer Posts: 43
    Juliem4444,[p]Many thanks for the kind words... paella, eh? I'll look into it. Will any old paella pan do, or is there a special one designed to work with the Egg?[p]-jer
  • jer, Any one is fine I think, I got a 13.5 one to fit in our large . The naked whiz site is a big help with anything and everything for the egg.
    from lump ratings to recipes A big help to me.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm

• citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    jer,
    welcome jer. now i know what my daughter is going through waiting for the next installment of harry potter. can't wait to read chapter 2. [p]well you're in it knee deep now. the plot thickens. [p]welcome to the cult!
    mark

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    jer,
    Welcome welcome welcome.......[p]A tea drinker in our midst. I've often wondered about the black russian tea I've read about Soviet sailors drinking in various fiction books. I'm more of a coffee person myself but I wonder.........

• Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    jer,
    welcome to the best forum and the best grilling ever[p]I love me egg and all the ppl on here[p]caution: apparently a lot of new ppl w/eggs are having a problem with their gaskets....this has led to many many many non nice and explosive/heated post...please be careful when you light lump in that egg....don't turn and walk away for 15 minutes get involved in a long conversation or get distracted....apparently the gaskets
    may (and this is unsubstaintiated) need a settling in period[p]good luck and hey buy a digital camerA iffen you ain't got one then you can show us(your new extended family) all your great cooks[p]Jan

• egg-dicted
    egg-dicted Posts: 18
    jer,[p]Welcome aboard. Truely enjoyed ready your story, it is clear you have an ability to WRITE. I look forward to some "cookin" stories from you. We could be witnessing the start of something HUGE here ... I can see it now, "Confessions of an Egghead" or "Soup for the eggheads soul"
    Congrats on your purchase. I personally and professionally KNOW you have made a great one. I work in the industry, call me "chip" for arguements sake ... I sell or have sodl all of the brands of gas grills everyday of the week that you have spoke of, but I also have the pleasure of selling the BGE, sadly though, FAR to many "gassers" wheel out the door .... but everytime they do, I swear the BGE snickers and says "they'll be back"[p]The Naked Whiz has an incredible site ... I frequent it often and find every answer there. This forum as well has been an incredible help. Often even just sitting and reading is a great way to learn :)[p]Enjoy your new life![p]Jeff[p]

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com[/ul]
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    jer,[p]Try http://www.silvertipstea.com[p]It's up in Tarrytown, about 30 mi north of NYC. Wonderful little place with truly outstanding tea. The Samovar and Victoria's Cup are delicious. Victorias makes about the best iced tea I've ever had. Their green teas are magnificent also. Enjoy.[p]mShark
  • locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    jer,[p]Damn, I'm glad you finally got it. Now you'll be smoking and grilling and have less time to type another long story! "Got a Large Egg today, can't wait to get started," would of worked just fine. ;-)[p]Happy Egging Bro! [p]Loco
  • jer,
    Reading your story brought back so many happy memories! You will certainly not be disappointed with your decision. The egg can cook anything, and is just plain easy to use. We use ours all year round, and love it.[p]My favorite accessory is my MAPP torch. This can be purchased at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. You cannot beat this tool for starting your fire. Just be sure to wear safety glasses as it can throw some sparks. I messed around with the starter sticks for the first year or two, and considered buying one of the electric starters. I don't think I ever tried using my chimney starter. A chimney starter might work, I just never tried it with the egg. [p]Have fun![p][p]

• jer,
    Another Washington Egger...Welcome. The only bummer is the rain that's welcoming your first day. Never the less...egg-on! The rain isn't going to hurt anything but your hair. [p]Also, if you ever need Wicked Weekend Warrior, Fireside in Kent has plenty of it. [p]Have fun!

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    jer,
    you will never regret investing in the egg. it is THE LAST BBQ you will ever buy. welcome to the cult. you will now be a charcoal snob!! but that's good. after a month or two when you really fine tune your cooking that is when you will have people fighting to come to your house. also make sure to make plans to be in atlanta where you will see alot of eggs and eggers. Eggfinity-1.jpg
    this was last year before they rolled them out so everyone could cook on them. third weekend in october.
    as others have said "Welcome To THE CULT" and make no bones about it this is a cult. but it is a cult you want to join!!![p][p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    jer,[p]WELCOME ABOARD! You will love your egg and the food![p]Fun story. A true pleasure to read this morning![p]"Honey, you smell" Smokey
  • jer
    markkal123,[p]hahah... well, having now awoken and feeling rested, the draft of Chapter 2 begins![p]-jer
  • jer
    dhuffjr,[p]It's amazing what you can find on the internet. :)

[ul][li]Russian tea[/ul]
  • jer
    Metalhead,[p]Problems with gaskets you say? I shall have to search these fine forums deeper...[p]As for photo-journalistic endeavors... my Canon 20D and I are at your service. Now, if I can just figure out how to post more than one picture or link here per message...[p]-jer
  • jer
    egg-dicted,[p]Thanks, Jeff, it's great to be here! :) I'm glad you liked my first post. It's always good to know that in my meager attempts at prose, I haven't been hoisted by my own petard.[p]Thanks for the Naked Whiz link. At first I was a bit leery, after all, I've stumbled upon less than prurient sites with more innocent seeming domain names before. Alas, curiosity got the better of me... and I haven't regretted it since![p]-jer
  • jer
    locolongball,[p]Sometimes you've got a story inside you, and you just gotta get it OUT. :)[p]-jer
  • jer
    mollyshark,[p]Thank you, Molly! I will indeed![p]I've been using these guys quite happily for a few years now:
    [ul][li]SpecialTeas[/ul]
  • jer
    Mr. Eggcitement,[p]A MAPP torch?[p]o.O[p]O.o[p]My inner pyro is positively *quivering* with glee! The sensible side of me bought a want-style refillable lighter (I can't remember the name, but Chip "the Egg-man" suggested it (coo coo ca choo).[p]-jer

• jer
    jer,[p]You need to work on your word usage! [p]It's "wand" not "want." Sheesh.[p]*rolls eyes*[p]-editor
  • jer
    mukl,[p]I was hoping someone would sympathize with me! Thanks for the tip about the charcoal. After seeing the amazing reviews by that naked whiz, I certainly want to make my next bag some Wicked Weekend or Ozark Oak. If you know of a local place to locate that stuff, I'm all ears.[p]-jer[p]"She's lump, She's lump, she's in my head..."
  • jer
    BENTE,[p]*wide-eyed stare*[p]I... I had no idea.[p]*looks around nervously*[p]Um, I think I hear... something... over there. Somewhere.[p]*makes a break for the door*
  • jer,[p]Welcome!! Life will never taste the same again. :-)

• jer
    Smokey,[p]Your sig made me laugh! [p]Italics eh? I had no idea HTML worked in these posts. Well, it's it's all over <span size="14px;">now</span>!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    jer,
    I did a little searching after I made that post :>)[p]Gonna have to look a little and see what they used. I suspect much like coffee in the US service (at least the rot gut my dad described) russian sailors drank the cheap stuff thick and hot.

• jer
    Juliem4444,[p]Awesome, thanks! :)[p]-jer
  • jer
    BBQsmoker,[p]I can only hope my meats will be singing my praises soon enough. I play lots of James Taylor for them as they marinade, so I'm expecting to hear them squeak out a rousing chorus of "How Sweet It Is (To Be [Grilled] By You)"[p]-jer
  • jer,
    That's classic. Gotta Love It!!!

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    jer,
    us yelling
    "WAIT YOU FORGOT YOUR KOOL-AID!!!"
    LOL
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb