Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE with a ribbon on top

Options
Saltydog
Saltydog Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Grettings: Last week for my Birthday my wonderful, beautiful, fantastic wife (did I mention she is great?) surprized me with a large BGE complete with all the toys. Do to my job and other commitments I was only able to use it once so far, but that will deffinately change starting today.[p]She found information I had in a file dating back to 1997 when I first starting researching the purchase of a BGE. I guess I don't jump into things, I need a little time to think. OK maybe four years is a little much.[p]Anyway, I ordered the cast iron grate as mentioned many times in this forum, however it doesn't appear to want to sit stable at the bottom of the coal bowl. It wants to keep tipping. Any thoughts, or did I miss something?[p]I want to say that I have followed this forum off and on for several years now and without a doubt believe that the best thing the BGE has going for them (besides having a great product)is this forum with all of you eggsperts. It is because of this expertise that I am so looking forward to getting started in what I am sure is to become a new way of life at our house.[p]Thanks,
Salty Dog

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Salty Dog,
    Congratulations on both the new BGE and such a nice wife, she's a keeper. Your in for lots of fun and good eats. I also have the metal grate, had the same problem with it tipping. Someone on the forum (sorry I can't remember who)told me to get 4 bolts (about 1/4 dia., 4 1/4 inches long, 8 washer's and nuts, put the bolts in the great with the heads down, they will be legs sitting in the ash bin. Have one nut and washer on each bolt, put the bolt through a hole in the great, one washer on top and then the second nut. When all four are in place, set it on something level and adjust the nuts so it will sit level in the egg. Takes a little adjusting but works grate when complete. I would measure the distance from the grate to bottom of the egg so your bolts are long enough. (I believe 4 1/4 is right, but it's been awhile) My grate actually sit's about 1/8 above the lip that the original grate sat on. Be sure the washer are large enough that they won't go through the hole in the grate. Hope you make some sense out of this.
    New Bob

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    New Bob,[p]There has been some discussion that using the metal trivets may cause the firebox to crack. Has anyone found out any more on this? I'd rather replace a grate than a firebox.[p]The Naked Whiz

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Salty Dog,[p]Are we married to the same woman? My wife just gave me a BGE for Father's Day! We researched it for about 24 hours. It just looked like too much fun to resist![p]The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz
  • Bordello
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I don't belive anyone is sure, lots of theory from what I understand but have not seen anything that is positive. I'm sure someone else will jump in. My fire box has a small crack that formed before the metal grate was put in. It developed within the first couple of months. BGE said they would ship me a new one when I want, but I have to cover the shipping charge of $25. (I am in Arizona) I realize I have not answered your question but you now know as much as I do. Have a great day and cook something on the egg.
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Your not fooling us, it must have been all that talk of breast, beautiful butts and beer that helped your early decision. Enjoy your egg and fathers day.
    New Bob

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Don't worry about cooking on the egg. I've already had my Father's Day Ham And Egg Fry Up With Baked Dough Balls for breakfast, will have pizza for lunch and mesquite grilled steaks for dinner. It's a BGE day![p]The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    You two guys are pretty lucky! Mine said if you want it, fine but you gotta find the cash! Then got tired of me cooking on it 4-5 nights a week.
    How's that bumper sticker saying go:
    My wife said if I go fishing one more time she's gonna leave me. Man, I'm gonna miss her!
    Anyway, congrats to both of you...you're in for some great meals and good times preparing!

• Bordello
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    That's the way to go, your on a roll.
    Keep Mr. Egg working and he will reward ya.
    New Bob

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Expand?u=1696333&a=13043928&p=49203874&File=htmlgeneratorphoto
    <p />Salty Dog,
    Heres what I gave my wife for Easter.

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    MAC, you did it.. and I still enjoy that one..Inspirational.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Salty Dog, due to castings and slight changes in the kiln curing, the chambers internal roundness isn't always a true circle. Thus the variance in adapting to it. TimM used 3 bolts perpendicular to the edges of the grate to make 3 self adjusting points of contact. Good idea at the time used with my ceramic donut experiment. Maybe he would post that picture as its not exposed on his website.
    C~W[p]