Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

do you help or not....

tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm working in the backyard, next thing I smell is lighter fluid. Heck, haven't been around the stuff for years and no mistake, it's lighter fluid. Funny how you don't forget smells. [p]20 minutes later, it burning sugar, again no mistake, been there done that, dang it. I got five bucks that says my neighbor is cooking chicken. [p]So, here is the question. Do you go over and offer some grilling advice or act like nothing is wrong and go about your business. Did I mention, 50-50 chance the wife is cooking.....T
www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    tjv,
    I'd say leave them be, that's what they know and understand. -RP

• egg-dicted
    egg-dicted Posts: 18
    tjv,[p]Get a little bird, grill it up and take it over someday. Tell them you thought you would share q'd chicken with them to see what they thought.... it could be the making of a future egg'r[p]Jeff

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    dumbass.jpg
    <p />tjv,
    They left the Kingsford out in the rain. Could not get it lite. I offered my egg to on cook since it was still hot. Took the air grill over. No luck with that. No, they are the masters. "How about a rib cookoff" he says?
    Stupid peolpe, think they know how to cook. If you can sell them on the egg, you can do anyhing.[p]See you in Ohmaha.[p]Mike

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    tjv,[p]Remember: No good deed goes unpunished.[p]Sounds like you are not currently close to them, and any 'assistance' might be interpreted in negative ways (like, cocky, know-it-all, nosy . . . 'say, how come Tom knows what we are cookin'? Has he had the binoculars out again???').[p]I say, if you go there, tread with fear.[p]DD
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    tjv,
    Thats a hard call, ya know when I'm bbq'n in the backyard, all the neighbors come over and offer me advice,
    like which food they want me to put in their little dishes.
    Anyway, I always end up giving some away to the neighbors. It's a natural thing to do, so forget the advice, no need to confuse them with the lump stuff, let them try the food, call it "I made too much, want some?"

• citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    tach18k,
    i think you warm your egg. toss some onions on the coals; put on a spatchcocked chicken; direct fan to blow your neighbors' way and see what happens. may be y'all are hot tubbin together by the time the chicken is done.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    tjv,[p]Have they ever smelled your cooking? Do you ever gossip across the fence? If yes to either, try offering a taste to them of some of your good stuff. If they appreciate it, most likely they'll want to know how you did it. [p]Sitting down over a good meal and explaining how it happened is most likely to be remembered. Especially if they have to pry it out of you. Otherwise, a happy stomach will aid remembrance.[p]gdenby
  • tjv, How about dropping a Brochure over the fence?

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Tom,[p]I just feed them. It's much easier..

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Car Wash Mike,
    .....and your not taking them up on the rib challenge?[p]Sounds like taking candy from a baby.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    tjv,
    I'd probably not unless asked.....but like others have mentioned, show them the way through a little taste testing.

• tjv
    gdenby, sure it's the same old story, feed one a meal and they eat one meal, teach one to cook and they eat a life time. They are well versed on egg food, I promise. T

• tjv
    DobieDad, nah, we are good friends. Now I wonder if he is pulling my leg and tempting me to cook something. Heck, memorial weekend is next weekend and he could be setting me up. [p]Maybe it's a master mind plot by my neighbor to play on my egg/bbq sense of doing right. He's probably over there in his lounge chair, sipping a cold one, fanning the lighter fluid, followed by dropping sugar on the coals, just so I'd jump the fence and come to his rescue. Dang, if he is, it's brillant and I'll probably cook a brisket for him next weekend. T
  • tjv,
    you help. [p]life is too short to eat bad q.[p]would you help him if he posted a question on this forum?[p]by the way... i want the first, next generation ss grid for the large... and send a large egg with it, please!

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    tjv,[p]Dang! If that's true, I wouldn't mess with that dude![p]A month or so ago someone (sorry I don't recall who) posted that his mother (grandmother?) used to slap him upside the head and say "Don't think, son, you're not equipped to." [p]I laughed so hard I almost split.[p]But in the dark of night, when all things are silent, comes a voice that repeats that line to me, and I suspect I resemble that remark.[p]Take him the brisket just in case![p]DD
  • tjv,
    I was in Lowe's last weekend when a young lady came down the grilling accessory isle. She pucked up some cheap little barrel looking grill, a sack of kingsford's, and a bottle of lighter fluid. I let it go for a while as both continued to look for what we were after (I was trying to build a raised grid).[p]Finally I could see that she was trying to do what was right so I asked her if she had much experience with grilling and she said no. I offered a little relevant help and she walked out with some natural lump and a chimney starter after putting away the evil fluid and petroleum brickettes.[p]My good deed for the day....[p]
    Bruce

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    tjv,
    Nah, leave'm be. Maybe they like true organic burned chicken.

• EGGOMANIAC
    EGGOMANIAC Posts: 141
    tjv,[p]Funny you mention it. Dudeman across the street has a 4 ft fire burning (every 3 weeks-rookie). All I can smell is fluid for 20 minutes, then I can tell if he's cooking chicken, hot dogs or a 1/4 inch steak. I smoke up the cul de sac every other day. Sorry!
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    DobieDad,[p]That was my dear departed grandma. If I had listened to her closely I would have gone through years of therapy as it it was it took AA to get me straightened out! 8>)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    EGGOMANIAC,
    i think many folks don't enjoy food, so much as just eat it.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante