Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for you all

jwirlwind
jwirlwind Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the past, I have had many type grills, smokers, cookers you name it. In addition to my large Egg that I have enjoyed for the past 5 years, I am really thinking about buying a new gasser with side burner just for different type cooking. Honestly, how many of you still fire up the gasser from time to time?[p]Chef Jerry

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Jwirlwind,
    I had thought about it for small cooks like brats, hamburgers, chicken, etc. So I bought a small egg instead. Living in a windy area with climate change it made better sense.

• Jwirlwind, Have a nice S.S. gasser and haven’t used it since I got an egg 1.5 year ago. It's a shame to see it just sit there.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Jwirlwind,
    What is a gasser? Sounds like a Beta tape.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Jwirlwind,
    honestly...NO.
    OTOH I believe it is Chef Will over on the P board who has a custom made metal table for his ceramic cooker that has a gas powered hot plate/burner on the side in it. Kinda cool. Maybe if you ask him he'll post it there or here.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Jwirlwind,
    I can honestly say I've never owned one. I had a little weber smokie Joe in at my apartment and then our apartment when we got married and then at our first house. I was putting off geting the larger kettle size when I found the BGE.[p]Gas seems to fit with some peoples lifestyles. The side burners have a lot of appeal to folks. I hear a lot of folks who say they never even use them though. I've always wanted a two burner gas cooker so I could fry fish outside......not that I ever fry fish inside.....or grill it outside either for that matter...... I'd just like one so I could :>)[p]H

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    RRP,
    That actually sounds like a good idea. See below.....I'd want two burners :>)[p]H

• Jwirlwind,
    Maybe 4-5 times since I got my egg 2 years ago. Now it just takes up patio space.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Jwirlwind,[p]If you are thinking about stir frying, I added a gasser of sorts to my outdoor kitchen. While many people on this board use the Egg to do stir fry, I find gas is the only way to get the temps that I need.[p]Eggsgasser1.jpg[p]This is a dual use propane gas burner. The grate is double sided, and holds a round bottomed pan (wok) or a flat bottomed pan (a cast iron skillet for sears or a stock pot).[p]It's a nice addition.[p]FWIW, I still have the Weber on the deck and have not fired it up (even once) since purchasing my first BGE 3 years ago.[p]DD
  • egg-dicted
    egg-dicted Posts: 18
    DobieDad,[p]THose little burners like you have are great for doing a big pot of corn. As for the Weber, I would fill it with dirt and plant some flowers in it![p]
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    egg-dicted,[p]Can't really figure out why it is still on the deck. [p]The wife is going crazy this year with planting flowers, it is such a great Spring.[p]I think she missed planting the Weber because it's been there so long she just doesn't see it any more.[p]Guess I should haul it to the street . . . [p]DD
  • Lowrodz
    Lowrodz Posts: 50
    Jwirlwind,
    We fired our old gasser up once since we purchased the egg. It was early on in our ownership of the egg and we hadn't yet learned to keep extra lump on hand. I hate it when we run outa lump...so now we always keep at least two bags on hand!!! B-

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    IMG_0131Small.jpg
    <p />Jwirlwind,
    This is the only gasser I have fired up since getting an Egg. Blackened fish and low country boil work better here. -RP

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Jwirlwind,
    Never. I don't own a gastrosity anymore.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • AZRP,
    now that is beautiful, mon!

• Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Jwirlwind,[p]Honestly - not once. However, I do miss Rotisery (sp) Chicken. I know it's all better on the egg but I really liked my Citrus juice marinated, gas grilled spun chicken. Also a spun beef roast was really good too. I think I get better results on the egg, but the spinner thingy made some really good meals. Also, when I got my gas grill 9 years ago, I got one with the side burner. I think I used it only once or twice. Took forever to boil water. If you are doing this for a side burner, I would just get one of these:
    [ul][li]http://www.amazon.com/2007-Deluxe-Butane-Burner-Stove/dp/B000BVC4NY[/ul]
  • Jwirlwind, it's a fact of life that people fall in love with their grills and smokers, especially the egg. Some people call us a cult. Read some of the other grill forums and you'll see similar devotion to those grills and smokers. As such, it's not easy to get an objective answer to a question about a gas grill on a grill forum. Having said that, I would offer that there are a number of good gas grills and a lot more not-so-good gas grills on the market. Some of the not-so-good grills include "pretty" stainless steel grills made in China with low quality stainless steel. People that make independent test also say the best gas grills don't always cost the most. Weber gas grills are very good grills. I would recommend a Weber with at least three burners for your consideration, and possibly with five depending on how much and what you want to cook on it. Three or more burners will give you more options for cooking indirect and more grill space. Look for info on the "best gas grills" on line and also in Consumer's Report if you have access to it. Good luck.

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Eggecutioner,
    I have several burners for pots, turkey frying, fish frying and such. I was just thinking of adding a gasser just to make the outside kitchen more versatile. [p]Jerry

• Jwirlwind,[p]Like many others here I use my big gasser for storing BGE bits. But I regularly use my little Weber Q - mainly when I'm in a hurry or cooking for just one or two.[p]And don't tell me to get a small or a mini - because you can't buy them in Australia.[p]
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    DobieDad,
    We have two new rose beds with 31 rose bushes in them. A little help from the wife would have been welcome. Wife says; "That's nice, but when do we get to see the flowers?"

• Jwirlwind,[p]I haven't read one response yet but - [p]Give me a Weber Stainless Silver series and it would never see a fake flame. never...

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Hmm...
    Let me think a minute...[p]Nope, never.

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Jwirlwind,
    Honestly if you came over to my house right now I can gurantee you I don't have a gas grill anymore. I sold my W*B*R Gasser and an XBOX to buy a small BGE to compliment my Large! I haven't missed my GAS Grill for one second! [p]Happy Egging, Pharmeggist
    P.S. I almost talked the person I sold the gas grill out of buying it... I practically gave it to him.

• Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    An Egg Downunder,
    Can you get a medium??? In Australia... Just curious

• Pharmeggist,[p]No medium, no large and no XL. Eggs haven't been sold in Australia for several years. [p]And there's no spare parts - none at all.
  • Metalhead
    Metalhead Posts: 668
    Jwirlwind,
    why waste lump on 4 hotdogs...I use mine on hotdogs instead of boiling[p]Jan

• Flashback Bob
    Flashback Bob Posts: 519
    Jwirlwind,
    I have a gasser with the side burner that I use for steaming mussels. I also have used the gasser when I wanted a quick cook after work, but was greatly dissapointed in the results. I thought I could still use it for simple quick cooks, but I'm not so sure.......

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Jwirlwind,
    I at least want to get a portable propane side burner so I can boil water- warm weather and cook everything outside on the deck that includes pasta. But yeah I am always saying a want a very small gasser, a one that would take the same small propane attatchment for the side burner, so I can do those quick frozen burgers, hot dogs, ect...
    Its OK. I think we all have at some point have a use for a gasers, and dont think it challenges the fidelity of the Egg:)
    ST

• hoohash.jpg
    <p />Jwirlwind,
    we've used the gassers when there wasn't any more room in the egg. ususually at the nascar races or parties.[p]here's some hoohash in a 15" skillet at bristol this spring. that skillet won't fit in my medium egg anyway. sure wish i had some of that right about now!

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Rick's Tropical Delight,
    Mmmmm..that looks good. Nothing like a bunch of stuff mixed tegether for a hearty meal.
    Got a recipe?
    ST

• Smokin' Todd,
    *L* that's my sous chef's recipe so i'm not exactly sure, but i know it has a pound of breakfast sausage, a pound of bacon, 12 eggs, an onion, shredded cheese (cheddar i think), frozen hash browns, and some seasonings. that was one of the best batches he's ever made. we fed about 12 with that, plus biscuits off the egg. so the egg and the gassser worked side by side and gave us a great breakfast!