Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston butt size

Options
All over the map
All over the map Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have two 10 lb butts. Is there any problem with dividing them in half so that they cook quicker? Is there any advantage in leaving them larger?

Comments

• locolongball
    locolongball Posts: 414
    Options
    All over the map,[p]Never tried...sure it would be fine. Just not sure how long they would take...

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    All over the map,[p]I'm sure there are lots of folks who do huge butts all the time. I'm not on of them (yet) but I can tell you that the larger they get, the more likely they will be very moist and flavorful. The bigger ones seem to offer enough fat for moistness while the collagen turns to gelatin. The first butt I did was a small 3.5 pound piece, and it was unpleasantly dry, despite falling apart. [p]gdenby
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    gdenby,[p]Bigger is more better. 7 or 8 pounders are the easiest for me to buy, packaged two to the Cryo pack. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery