Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having a family get together of 15 for pulled pork. Should I plan on 2 approx 8 pound BB?? It's been awhile since I cooked pulled pork. Is the 2 hours a pound still about right. I am cooking indirect about 225 degrees. Any help would be appreciated. One more question...should the Butts be around room temp when put on the egg??

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    genew, for one meal one butt might do, but I'd recommend two to be safe and have leftovers. You can wrap sandwich-size portions in saran wrap and put them in a zip lock bag for the freezer. It will keep for several months this way. You can cook pork butts at a higher temp than briskets, 250* at grid level is no problem. 225* is good, it just takes a little longer. I think it is best to leave any large piece of meat out to come closer to room temperature before you start cooking it. You'll probably get additional replies. This is just how I do it and it works for me.

• mike
    mike Posts: 152
    Options
    genew,
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm
    Look at the link and it will answer all of you questions from Elder and the naked whiz.[p][p]

• LoNOx
    LoNOx Posts: 27
    Options
    genew,
    I've cooked butts three times in the last month. Last Saturday night was the best yet. I put a 7lb bone-in on at 10:00 pm. It was slathered with mustard and a heavy dose of rub. I had the temp set at 200°. I got up at 7:00 am and it was at 180°. Moved it up to 210° and took it off at 1:00 as it had just gotten to 170°. VERY moist and tasty. I placed about 6 chunks of mesquite around the edge of the coals. The mesquite had permeated it deeply. Very low and slow is the bomb!!!!!

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Two 8 pounders will likely do...but depends on the crowd....if their big eaters I'd throw a third one one....and if you have some left over...so what?....BBs are cheap enough to have some left over.....[p]Don't be afraid to run the Dome temp at 250 - 275 when cooking BBs indirect...they'll be done a smidge sooner and you'll sweat less....about 2 hours per pound + / -.....No problems....If you put them on cold it will just take longer...room temp is better but not necessary....[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft.