Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porterhouse

Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody got any good tips, tricks, techniques for cooking porterhouse steaks? The wife set one out for tomorrow night.[p]Thanks![p]Kelly

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Kelly Keefe,
    I'll let one of the eggsperts give you cooking advice, I'm more worried that if she only put one out????? your going to starve. Better run to the market "Quick".
    Have a great weekend.
    New Bob

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Kelly Keefe,
    Give us some more info. How thick? What do want, rare, ned. rare, med, etc.?

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Kelly Keefe,[p]I like to trim any fat around the edges down to 1/8" thick. The fat will then sear nicely and can be eaten with the meat, if desired. I dry the steak with paper towels to help with the crusting of the surface during the cook. I then dust one side with kosher salt and both sides with fresh cracked pepper, pressing the spices into the meat so they stick well.[p]Prepare some clarified butter or ghee (toasted clarified butter - link below). When the meat is cooked to perfection, remove, paint one side with the butter oil, and let rest for 5 minutes prior to serving. You can tent foil over it to help preserve the heat if so desired.[p]The cook will be a sear side 1/sear side 2/remove or a sear both sides and dwell to cook to a more done state prior to removal. I like to rotate (not flipping) the steak half way through searing each side to create nice grill marks. This can be done on only one side as long as this side is served facing up.[p]Cooking times are determined by the cooking temperature, desired doneness, and the temperature of the meat when the cook is started. If you are seeking a rare to medium rare end result, it can be beneficial to cool the steak in the freezer to help prevent overcooking while still creating a great crust and look to the finished product.[p]A simple prep and some attention to detail can turn this great piece of meat into a truly exceptional meal.[p]Spin

[ul][li]Ghee - Indian clarified butter[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Spin,[p]Afterthoughts:[p]Meat thickness also has a lot to do with the cooking times.[p]A thoroughly heated Egg will prevent the loss of cooking temperature on insertion of the meal and when flipping. I heat with the bottom vent wide open and control the temperature using the top vent only. I start the cook when I have to agressively limit the airflow to control the temperature. On each dome opening (cook with the dome closed), I open the top vent wide to quickly regain cooking temperature, regulating again to hold the temperature.[p]Hey C~W, I just started the second pot of java ;-).[p]Spin

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    JJ,
    It's about 2" thick and 10"x6". The wife and I prefer medium to well done. Don't worry New Bob, it's plenty big enough for the two of us. (This is heresy but)We aren't big meat eaters - portion size wise. The two of us can split a game hen and have left overs! [p]Thanks for the advice y'all![p]Kelly

• Spin, I have my thoughts on that porterhouse. ;-0