Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Table Plan

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,[p]I am planning on purchasing a large BGE this June and want to build a table for it. I have the BGE wood table plan but not sure of the measurments between top and bottom shelf should be. The BGE will have a spring assisted band for the lid and requires two extra inches in height.
Can someone confirm if my measurements are correct . . .lower shelf at 15.25 inches above ground and top shelf 17.25 inches above lower shelf.
Thank you,
Look forward to joining the club.
Gerry

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Gerry,
    According to the BGE table plans, the distance between the lower shelf and top shelf is 15 inches. The distance between the lower shelf and the ground depends on how high you want the table top above the ground. In the plans, they show a table height of 32" which would make the distance between the lower shelf and the ground 17".[p]TNW

[ul][li]Table Plans[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Gerry,
    You can measure you BGE to determine how high the shelf should be from the bottom shelf. Measure from just under the ouside lip of the top of the bottom half to the bottom of the bottom half. Keep in mind the distance will increase if you plan on setting the Egg on a tile or the BGE feet.

• Unknown
    Options
    Gerry,
    I just went out and measured my table for the large BGE. You can see it on the "tables" page the Whiz has, labeled "Hank."
    The bottom shelf is 14.75" from the ground. The egg rests on three 1.5" thick fire bricks, and the top of the table is at 32.25" from the ground.[p]As I recall, the plans I used as they came off the internet made it hard to get my hands around the dome handle well. Admittedly, I may have made a bad cut somewhere. But the specs above should give you a good idea.

• Unknown
    Options
    Gerry,
    I said the Whiz had page of table pics. I may be wrong. Anyone?

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Hank,
    yes, I have a gallery of table photos.
    TNW

[ul][li]Table photos[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Unknown
    Options
    Gerry,
    So I guess the bottom line is: You want to make sure the handle of the dome is high enough above the surface of the top shelf to get your hand around it good but not much higher than that. Then, you need to decide what sort of insulation you want between the bottom of the egg and your lower shelf (bricks, tiles)and how thick that insulation is. Lastly, you need to ask yourself if you want to put the whole thing on wheels or not and how high any wheels would bring the height of the top shelf.[p]I would work the shelf heights back out of these factors, realizing that 32" for the top shelf is a good height for most people.

• Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    THERE'S my table! *sniff* I remember when she was born... And I have to say she's holding her age really well. Thanks.

• currdog
    currdog Posts: 25
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Is that table for the old hinge, or take into account the extra space needed for the spring hinge??

• Unknown
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    I was just going to ask about table designs when I ran across this post. There's some great ideas there in all those pics.[p]I've got some Ipe wood left over from a job that I think might make a great cart/table. I'm going to go measure it up right now and see if I've got enough material.[p]Bayaba