Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoking

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings:[p]I just purchase a large egg and I have a question on how to properly set up the grill for smoking. Can you completely close the bottom draft while leaving the daisy wheel in the 225 range or will the fire go out? The reason for this question is, my first cook on a large BGE was pork chops smoked with apple chips. The daisy wheel was completely closed and the bottom fully open. The results were disasterous. The meat had an extremly strong smokey flavor, in fact it was too strong for my entire family. I know that the BGE was not to fault at all. I just don't know what I'm doing yet. Any thoughts from folks that can lend a hand would be greatly appreciated.[p]
Sincerly,[p]
B.D

Comments

• Steve13
    Steve13 Posts: 12
    Options
    Big Deal,
    There are many others who will post here that know way more than I but when you closed the bottom door you starved the fire and reduced it to just smoke with basically latent heat left to do your cook. Did you let the " blue smoke" burn off before you put the chops on ? It sometiomes leaves an acrid ,smoky taste. I know on my large 225 is the bottom door open maybe 1/4 " to 1/8 " and daisy wheel almost closed. Unless those were really thick chops 225 seems awful low to me . Were you trying for that low to get the smoke flavor? In my opinion the BGE gives great smoke flavor at most any low to med temp. Again many will chime in otherwise but thats the beauty of the forum. good luck and keep trying the learning curve is quick and your results will only get better!

• Shoe
    Shoe Posts: 67
    Options
    Both vents need to be open, even if just a sliver. For 250 dome I usually find myself with the bottom vent open about the width of a nickle, and the multifunction cap with the slider shut and the daisy wheel about half shut. Once the temperature is stable (10 or 15 minutes with no vent adjustments) add your wood directly to the burning coals. Let the smoke roll out of the egg for another 10 or 15 minutes. Make no vent adjustments, temperature will return to 250. Once the smoke begins to turn from white to blue and thin out, only then add your food. Don't use more than one or two chunks of wood.[p]That works fine for small stuff that is only on a couple hours. For larger stuff like pork butts that are on 15+ hours, read the guidance on the naked whiz's site.[p]Actually, you should read everything on the naked whiz's site.