Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with a top blade roast?

slyrye
slyrye Posts: 135
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Mrs. came home with 2 of these, about 2 lbs each.
I have never heard of these, anybody got a idea[p]
thanks,
sly

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    If I'm not mistaken, this is an upper blade roast from which you can cut flat iron steaks. You can cut it crosswise into ¼" slices, maybe a little thicker. There will be a strip of connective tissue between two very nice little steaks. The connective tissue runs the length of the roast and is EXTREMEMLY tough. I usually cook the steaks and then cut out the bad stuff. These are some of the tastiest steaks for the money. A great value, IMHO. I'll be interested in hearing what you do with them. I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck![p]Jim
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Your other choice would be a pot roast.Get your dutch
    oven out with some taters,carrots and onion.For two people should be ok otherwise stack them for three or four people.

• slyrye, Take a look at the link for more info. I love this cut and I think you will to.

[ul][li]http://bbq.about.com/od/steaks/a/aa051207a.htm?nl=1[/ul]
  • slyrye
    slyrye Posts: 135
    JSlot,
    I tried the steak method, trimmed off the tissue and got 2 great steaks.
    Got the egg to 325 and brought the steaks up to 125, then cranked up the heat and seared for a couple of mins per side.
    I was really impressed with the flavor and texture of this fairlly cheap cut, lookin forward to stocking up the freezer with these!

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Glad to hear you liked it. It has become one of our favorites.