Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick and Delicious Fish

Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,
I bought some beautiful thawed yellowtail steaks (or is it yellowfin? I can never remember) last night. They were lean and as red as filet mignon. I marinated them very simply in olive oil, fresh lime juice, and pepper while waiting for the Egg to heat up. Then I peeled and seeded two fresh mangoes and pureed them in the blender with salt, pepper, more fresh lime juice, and red wine vinegar. I didn't measure anything; just tasted it until it was nice and tangy. I sliced a baguette loaf lengthwise and brushed it with olive oil. By this time, Humpty was hot; about 600. I grilled the bread on the cut side (very quickly!), brought the temp down to about 400, and then grilled the fish; about 3 min/side and a 4 min dwell. It was juicy and tender, and just barely pink in the center. I prefer mine a little rarer, but the rest of the family's more "well done." I plated the bread first, topped by the sliced fish, followed by a few slices of Vidalia onion and drizzled generously with the mango sauce which was then sprinkled with chopped cilantro for color. I served a salad and some asparagus on the side. The whole shebang from grocery to table took about 45 minutes, give or take, including heat-up time. [p]The expression I love best on this forum certainly applies here...Life Is Good![p]Cheers,
Gretl

Comments

• char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Gretl,[p]Next you do this one, give us a little warning, so I can drive over.
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Gretl,[p]Man that sounds good. Here in S. IL we have a very difficult time, if not impossible, getting good seafood. I grilled some fresh tuna on the egg once and it was amazing, like eating a fillet in my opinion, only better. Sometimes the easiest recipes come out the best. Congrats on the wonderful results and I'm jealous of your access to that type of seafood on a regular basis.[p]Troy
  • MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Gretl,[p]If that isn't the best post I have read in some time. What a picture you paint.[p]Gonna do your salmon this weekend.[p]Mick

• Gretl
    char buddy,
    Any time, any time at all! As a matter of fact, I have a little bit leftover for lunch today...can you make it here soon...real soon? ;-)
    Cheers,
    Gretl

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Gretl, I e-mailed my daughter and husband to pick a recipe from the new recipe section to pick a meal for their weekend visit, as they wanted something from the BGE, and they thought your salmon was the one to try. I just picked up a filet and am giving them the treatment on Sunday. (supposed to be Fathers day but what the hell I've always spoiled them before, so I'll do the cooking anyway) Heard nothing but rave reviews so I'm looking forward to it. My first time.
    Painter

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Gretl,
    That sounds awesome. I really like the mango sauce idea.[p]We did some tuna steaks the other day, and I served it very red in the center (as it was fresh, and it is SOO much better that way). My wife was squeamish about it, as it looked just like a rare steak. She ate from around the edge as much as possible, but after realiziing how much more moist it was, she started digging into the redder areas. I cooked about like you did, but without the dwell.[p]Those folks with hangups about eating rare tuna are truly missing out!!
    Great weekend to ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gretl
    Nature Boy,
    A favorite way of mine preparing really fresh sushi-quality tuna is coating it with freshly ground black pepper (or Grains of Paradise) and searing it quickly on all sides in a dry hot skillet. Man, oh man. Dig in and let the good times roll.
    Cheers and Happy Father's Day,
    G.