Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggin a fully cooked Ham

WessB
WessB Posts: 6,937
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I believe I saw some posts in the past but was unable to locate them...I`ve got a frozen (but will be thawed to cook) fully cooked spiral cut ham thats just over 8#..wasnt planning on doing anything fancy with it, basically just eggin it up, I figured around the 300° mark..anyone done one of these that could offer any tips or times or temps..any advice would be appreciated...[p]
Wess

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    WessB:[p]I have done several whole and half fully cooked hams with killer results. I do them direct at 200º dome and go for an internal of 160º.[p]I would be concerned about a spiral cut ham drying out. Maybe give it a coating of honey and mustard to heep the moisture in? Let me know what you do . . .

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    djm5x9,
    You are the king of direct. I hope you have a good cook in mind to do at the Eggtoberfest, to demonstrate direct cooking of something that is normally done indirect. I would like to see your technique!![p]Howdy to the whole fam damily!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    djm5x9,
    the honey and mustard sounds like an awesome glaze....I may just do exactly that..will probly cook this on Thursday..goin for a slab of spares for tom. night, then most likely the ham on Thurs....do you glaze just near the end of the cook ..I would gather early since you said moisture retention...
    Thanks..[p]Wess

• djm5x9
    WessB:[p]I think I would start out with the honey mustard to help with moisture retention.
  • djm5x9
    Nature Boy:[p]You know, although we just finished some wonderful ribeyes my Princess put one of her special Vietnamese twists on, all I can think of now is those fantastic racks of lambs we had last night. A grown man and three little boys scrambling for the last two ribs . . . I am ashamed of myself. NOT!

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    WessB,
    The dome temp should be around 250F, with a V-rack and drip pan. Since it is fully cooked you only need to take the internal up to 115 or 120F, about 15 to 20 minutes per pound. Glaze it during the last 30 minutes. Also, the spiral cut needs some attention. Be sure to tie the ham up well with kitchen twine, otherwise the slices will start to fall over and dry out badly.
    JimW