Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thx for the help on abt's and spatch cocked chicken

Options
smokn gramma g
smokn gramma g Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Every thing turned out great tonight on the small. Abt's went in minutes. Should probaly have made 40 instead of 20. Thanks Spring Chicken and Stike! I ended up cooking them at 325 with no problems. Took about 1 hour.[p]The chicken... mmmm, mmmm, mmm!! Although it could have been a real disaster! I was going to cook it in the gasser, but then after a walk around the house, I found brick, leftovers from our house. I thought... Hey, I have a small trivet in my slow cooker... gonna try it, and it worked just perfect! I was so proud of myself, after telling my husband my great feat, he looked at me and said... wholly SH#@! You could have blew up that brand new $987.00 thing! I almost puked. I thought a brick was a brick. Lesson learned. He wasnt sure you could get them any more.[p]So, where would one find a fire brick?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    firebrickboxs.jpg
    <p />smokn gramma g,
    Exploding bricks are probably a bit exagerrated. But fire bricks can be found at brick yards and as a last resort, you can find Rutland fire brick at Ace Hardware. They might have to order (I ordered mine online and had them delivered to the store). Here's a link:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Fire Bricks[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I say "last resort" because they are rather expensive. $20 for the box of 6 as I recall....[p]TNW
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    smokn gramma g,
    that brick won't "blow up"[p]lotta warnigns about that, never did see an actual story where it happened. it can crack, or spall, if it sees very high heat for a long while.[p]they are used in fireplaces so that over time the bricks don't pulverize, not because folks are dying from shrapnel. no worries.[p]rocks around a campfire will give a big crack sometimes. remember, they do it because one side is very hot, and the other side is cold. same for bricks in a fireplace. one side very hot, the other comparatively cold.[p]put them in early and bring them to temp, and a brick is a brick is a brick. might crack in half, but you won't be dodging jagged shards of supersonic exploding brick

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • smokn gramma g
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    thanks, I will check our local brick place on monday!

• smokn gramma g
    Options
    stike,
    ok, hubby said that they contain lime and hold the moisture...so could explode because of the moisture retension. All I could think of was the 900 + I just paid for it yesterday! [p]Anyway... didnt! and chicken turned out great, and will not use those bricks again

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    smokn gramma g,[p]keep the peace. do what hubby says, of course.
    regular bricks just don't explode... it's a myth.[p]they can crack over time after repeated exposure to high temps. that's what the concern is.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante