Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My most important cook (Pork Butt)

Randy
Randy Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Egg Friends:[p]I have had my large egg for a year now and have grown comfortable with its use having cooked many delicious butts. Tomorrow is my fathers 80th birthday, sisters and I are throwing a surprise bd party for him on Sunday. I volunteered to cook 3 butts. I have never done three, two being my previous max qty.
I have purchased a plate setter and will use it for the first time. I bought the plate setter thinking it would provide me a larger indirect heating profile, hence I hope to be able to easily fit the three butts into the egg. I have the butts prepared with dizzy dust.
This will be an overnight cook. After the butts are done I will take them two hours down the road to the party location.[p]I'm a big one for not making any significant changes to "the system", however having purchased the plate setter to use for the first time I have broken that rule. Is there anything that I should know as far as the plate setter changing any cooking characteristics of the egg?[p]I appreciate your thoughts. This is going to be a little stressful for me as this cook simply must succeed.[p]Thank You - Randy

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Randy,
    Relax, take a few deep breaths, I don't know how your previous setups were for butts, but I am assuming they were indirect. Setup the plate setter legs up with the grid on the legs. I fashion a drip pan the size of the plate setter's center from a piece of heavy duty foil, and put it on the setter. It will keep the setter clean and keep the grease out of the fire. Three butts will fit on the grid, just stand them on their narrow ends. Be sure to put in plenty of coal and keep the dome temp @ 250. Remember that much meat is going to cool the Egg down quite a bit when you first put it in. Don't chase the thermometer by changing vent settings, just have the Egg stable for an hour or so at 250 and ignore the dome temp for an hour or two after adding the meat. Good luck! -RP

• mike
    mike Posts: 152
    Randy, I have always used the plate setter when cooking butts. I have a large egg and have only attempted two before. The only thing I have noticed with the plate setter is where the meat hangs over it will cook a little faster. I realize that you probably assumed that, but I cooked some baby back ribs a a little warmer temp and the ends turned into jerky. Everything over the plate setter was just fine. I am assuming that you are cooking at a low temp so it may not be a problem. I have tried putting a throw away pie plate on top of the plate setter and under the grate. I filled it with beer and a little bit of liquid smoke. I would refill the pan during the cook, being careful not to pour any liquid on the ceramic because it might crack I think, and the flavor was outstanding. Good luck and good cooking.

• wobin
    wobin Posts: 211
    AZRP,
    Yup what AZRP sez, stabilize your fire and relax. Just make sure you have enough lump in to last for a long cook.[p]Cheers, Glenn

• Randy,[p]Here is a picture of three 8 pounders on my large BGE.[p]BGE016.jpg[p]Here are two 10+ pounders I am cooking today.[p]BGE031.jpg[p]Don't worry. YOU CAN DO IT!![p]

• Randy
    Randy Posts: 28
    Thanks for your encouraging words. I'm going to light the fire in 15 minutes!
    Randy