Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nu-Temp Question

Options
Slim
Slim Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking of doing some ribs my question is instead of the BGE thermometer can i use the nu-temp in the same hole? will this work on long cooks like a butt so i could set the low/high temp alarm? how far in would i need the probe to go in? maybe i need to buy another!

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    slim,[p]Yes -- it works like that but you will see the advantage of an analog thermometer pretty quickly. The digital will vary wildly!! A sudden burst of heat will send the 225 deg dome to 250-270 and then back down and up again and down. It makes adjusting very hard because its too sensitive. It also makes the transmitter send more (every 2 deg up or down makes it send)and it will eat up batteries much quicker with it in the dome. [p]I also have a Remote Check which has two probes in the transmitter. When I do a Butt I do use the probe in the dome and well as one in the meat. The Nu-Temp has an alarm that goes off if a temp falls below the set temp and that's real handy.[p]Tim
  • Slim
    Slim Posts: 44
    Options
    Tim M,thanks for the ifo i appreciate it!