Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Brisket and search advice

Options
Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This a two fold question. Marinating a brisket for tomorrow, but need best advise on cook time/ temp and set-up.
Tried a search as I'm sure there are plenty of posting but must be doing something wrong any help on best way to search.Or guide to me to a good posting. Checked on recipe section only found 1 recipe.
need to impress wife she hasn't let me cook a brisket yet. Lots of steak/ burgers/ pizza and chicken. Still learning but loving every minute of it. [p]I love my Big Green Egg.[p]

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Kyle,
    Scroll down this thread, lots of info on brisket.

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Kyle,
    Try this:

[ul][li]Eggfest 2000 brisket[/ul]
  • Kyle
    Kyle Posts: 156
    Options
    bdavidson,
    thanks for the link. I beleive i'll give it a shot.

• Uncle Dave
    Uncle Dave Posts: 54
    Options
    Kyle,
    Lots of opinion on here. Ive been gone for 3-4 weeks. Many of my friends think my method goes best. Here it is maranade all night. Put on fat down 250 for 1 hr, really pour the smoke and go with a rub you like. turn and go 1 hr. still 250. Take the brisket off and lay it on two sheets of foil. Curl the sides up to form a crude bowl. Pour on 2/3 bottle of beer and 1/2 red onion sliced. Cover with another piece of foil and return to the egg. 200 for 2 1/2 hrs, its great. this is a 4 and 1/2 cook. It will be so tender a plastic fork will work. I dont think you will do it any other way once you try this. Uncle Dave

• Alan
    Alan Posts: 72
    Options
    Kyle,[p]IMHO, brisket is best done "Texas Style", where you cook it indirect at as close to 200 as you can until internal temp is ~195. Granted, every brisket is a little different, but the egg cooks it better than any other smoker I have ever used.[p]The only time I use foil is at the end of the cook where I wrap it in foil and let it rest at least 1 hour in the cooler.[p]AS far as marinades, rubs, etc., my taste buds are not good enough to taste the difference between marinading and not. Some of the cajun injector spices are good, but generally, the rub you choose is the dominant flavor, along with the smoke.[p]Do a low and slow cook, and you can't lose.[p]Cheers,
    Alan

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Kyle,
    Mornin! The recipe that I posted has a description of the way I cook them. Have done a bunch of them, and 250 dome temp is perfect for me. Any indirect setup will do, just so the chunk-o-ochest is shielded from the direct fire (actually I have heard of people doing them direct, but have not tried it). Somewhere between 1.75 and 2.5 hours per pound (depending on thickness, and personality of the cow). Internal meat temp will stall in the 160-170 range, seemingly forever. Ride it out as it is magic is going on inside. When you get to 185 or 190 internal (on the thin end), try and twist a fork in it. If it doesn't twist, go to 195-200.[p]The moisture retention of the egg makes foil unecessary. Though everyone has their favorite way. The "turbo brisket" (see post yesterday) that I cooked and brought to the soccer picnic was moist and tender, and it wanted to fall apart while I was carving. Went as fast as I could carve it.[p]You and your wife are in for a treat. You cooking all day? Or overnight? How big is the brisket? Fatcap?[p]Cheers to ya! Have fun.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    kyle,
    You will have no regrets (and fewer leftovers).