Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL BGE Question

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Hiya EggHeads-[p]I'm looking at getting a ceramic cooker and narrowed my choices down to two. Possibly an XL BGE or a Kadamo #7.[p]After going to my local egg dealer, he said he wasn't too impressed with the XL BGE because it wasn't able to "hold the temp well" and said the large is a better product. Any XL BGE owners have had this problem?[p]Any info will be greatly egg-preciated.[p]E

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    TwoBionicEggs,[p]Well your dealer is wrong. I have two XL's and they both hold temps well. [p]Having said that I will tell you for most people the Large is all the cooker most people need. Unless you plan on feeding 40-50 people with almost every cook you don't NEED the XL. [p]If you got the cash for the XL get a large and a small and you will be extremely happy.[p]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    TwoBionicEggs,
    if you go the kamado route, i wouldnt get the tile version, i have read horror stories about the tiles falling off over the years. both hold heat well, but i favor the egg, 2 eggs are really the way to go, either a large small combo, or for bigger crowds 2 larges. the large is the size i like to cook on out of the bunch. regardless of which one you get, you will be looking for a secomd one down the road.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Jake
    Jake Posts: 92
    TwoBionicEggs,
    I have 2 XL eggs and have no trouble at all holding temp. It is my opinion that they hold temp just as well as the large eggs.
    Jake

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    TwoBionicEggs,
    I'm with Celtic Wolf.
    I have both XL and Large. The XL hold temp very well.
    I have done several long cooks over 20 hours and one 30+ and only made small adjustments and never added or touched the lump.
    I love my XL but the dome shape on large will
    give you more options for multi grids and such.
    I think the Large and Small combo is a very good way to go over the XL.[p]I also checked out other ceramics before I found this forum
    and went with the Egg. All the great help on this forum alone is worth the purchase of your Egg.
    Take care,
    Darian

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • hiloboy
    hiloboy Posts: 75
    fishlessman,
    i have 2 large and i'm vary happy i got my second large.i have done some good size party's 100+ when i get them both fired up..and when its only me and the family the large put out a good size meal..all i can tell you is eggs rock!!!!

• TwoBionicEggs,[p]What's the wait time for a Kamado? I've heard of it taking anywhere from 1-3 months to get it delivered. Then, you have to pray nothing is missing or broken. At least with a BGE you can go to a dealer, see it, buy it, load it up and cook on it all in the same day.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    skoal,
    And if you have a problem, the Atlanta Home Office will make it right, pronto.

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    TwoBionicEggs,
    I have a friend that has an XL. It will hold much more food than the large, but the average family will not need more then a large can do at one time. Personally, I would go with the large. Most of us have one. [p]Chef Jerry

• eatbbq
    eatbbq Posts: 81
    TwoBionicEggs,
    I just recently purchased a XL and am still experimenting with it, but temperature holding has not been an issue, even with my very limited experience. In hind-sight I would probably now go with the large as I think the XL may not be as effecient as it has a much larger area to heat, more lump in to burn etc., and it is usually just me(so far) that is eating the food. I bought it primarily because I can always downsize in space required, but didn't want to be cramped for space. If I had read more of the forum posts I would have seen that 2 different size eggs, i.e. large and small or large and medium would give me the size requirements I need plus more versatility and possibly more effeciency. That said, I am still very, very, happy with my XL.[p]

• galoot
    galoot Posts: 69
    TwoBionicEggs,
    I'm with Celtic Wolf on this one too. I have an XL and it holds temp very well. Also most of the cooks we do are just me and my wife so if I had to do over, I would go with the large and a small. But I am very, very happy with the XL though and will probably get another for the nights we do a couple of filets; they look tiny on the XL !