Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why buy a Green Egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Calling all experts. I have a gas grill and want to supplement it with a charcoal smoker. What makes the Green Egg so special to justify spending the $ on it rather than just buying an inexpensive Weber? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    zegmal,[p]Number one reason:[p]Chicks dig the egg!
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    Experience with cheap Weber's (and similar).[p]Spacey
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    zegmal,[p] Your gasser and the cheap Weber will wither and die. The BGE will be left to your Grandkids. So what is more expensive.. Buying a cheap weber every couple years, or a gasser every few years, or buying a BGE ONCE.. LIFETIME WARRANTY..[p] Picture the best the steak you ever ate. Now image it a 100 times better.. Remember the best pulled pork, ribs, or brisket ... ohh wait your gasser can't do that..[p] Imagine the best pizza you ever had.. Now image it it baked in a wood fired oven.. [p] These are just a few of the reasons the BGE outclasses it's competitors..[p]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    zegmal,
    if you buy an egg, you'll soon kick the gasser to the curb.[p]i still do not know what it does better, grill or barbecue. [p]no other cooker gets as hot, or coasts as slow, or has the company behind it like BGE. check the action and pics on this forum....[p]the BGE is more versatile than any cooker out there, and that's not just sunshine up your pantleg

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    zegmal,
    everyone and every idea here at the site!!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    zegmal,[p]It just seems like its more expensive. As Celtic Wolf already mentioned, the Egg will last over a generation. Honestly, there are folks who turn up on the forum every now and then with 20 year old Eggs, and they're still cooking fine. There's little maintainance, other than replacing the gasket now and then, and there are some folks who do fine without any gasket. [p]Another reason is the Egg's weather-proofness (is that a word?) You can cook in just about any weather. With a "rain hat," summer thunderstorms don't do a thing. I've cooked with with wind chills of -27, and the Egg hung in at 250 steady for 5 hours.[p]The charcoal use is exemplary. I average 9 cooks out of a 10 lb bag. Then there's the effort saving. One load of lump on the Egg can last 30 hours doing a low-n-slo cook without any refill. [p]During the 20 years before I got my Egg I burnt through at least $500 in metal grills and cookers. During that time I only had two meals as good as I had within the first week of Egging. My wife and I have almost stopped going to restaurants because most of what we get there doesn't measure up anymore.[p]gdenby

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    zegmal,
    after you get your large egg, you will be suplimenting it with a small, you will forget you even had a gasser. i went from a weber kettle to a bge, i still have both but the kettle never gets used, there is a huge difference in the food quality that comes off the egg verse the weber. the egg has the same characteristics as the kettle that made weber famous, plus better heat control, the ability to cook in any weather, uses way less charcoal, radiates heat better from the dome for cooking roasts pizzas etc, keeps foods moist better. lasts a lot longer, easier to setup for different cooks, fill with lump once and it will cook 30-40 hours straight without a reload doing overnight low and slows, changes the type of food you will cook to real bbq, real woodfired flavored pizzas etc. also this forum and an egg will get you cooking things you never thought would be possible, resteraunts will never be the same again as you will be making better dinners at home.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Flashback Bob
    Flashback Bob Posts: 519
    Options
    zegmal,
    I switched from a gasser to the Egg last summer. For the first time ever, I cooked out every weekend all winter long! I pulled the gasser out last night because I needed a quick grilling of some pork strips for my kids before we went to game and concert. It was highly dissapointing.[p]Oh, but you were asking why not a weber kettle- For me in the northeast, I'd say weather. You can cook outside in any kind of weather. Also the lifetime guarantee and quality are not to be sneezed at either. I have a friend in work who has a weber and we talk about grilling. I tell him about all the stuff I do on the egg and he tries to do the same on his weber, with varying degrees of success. he believes he can cook good babyback ribs. But other than that I don't think he can keep up. And I'm known for screwing things up the first time I try them![p]The Egg seems to have unlimited potential.
    It's like the difference between a calculator/PDA and a computer. Maybe all you need is a calculator, but once you get the computer you'll find yourself doing lots of things you hadn't before, because you can.

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I got a Large BGE last May. Two weekends ago my son and I took apart the old gasser and threw it out. I will never cook on a gas grill again.
  • Unknown
    Options
    zegmal,
    The flavor, versatility, ease of use, and a company that stands behind you is some of the many reasons to buy an Egg. I work at a grill store and had my choice of grills. From $300.00 Webers to $12,000.00 Fire Magic propane grills and the BGE was the only choice for me. The flavors are unlike any metal grill that you have ever experienced.
    Just do it. We can't all be wrong!

• Big Hoser
    Big Hoser Posts: 104
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Right on, brother. Can't add any better reasons than you cited. The only thing you could have included was one of your mouthwatering pics with a caption like "Try this on a kettle!" I sometimes to try to avoid look at your's or Rick's Tropical Delight's posts before lunch else my stomach starts growling early. [p]Dan
  • Unknown
    Options
    I only know 3 people that have ceramics in this country.

And not ONE of all our friends, colleauges and family don't agree: if we're
    going to BBQ, then its US, nobody else can BBQ quite that good!!

(you will be the best BBQ'er ever, in your family and friends opinions.
    Your BBQ will be that good..!

And you will tell yourself "That was the best couple of hundred bucks
    I ever spent!!"
    best regards
    thorsten denmark
  • Unknown
    Options
    Got the same problems with Ricks pictures--
    I sometimes re-post them here in denmark on
    bbq forums here... with his permission of course :laugh:
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    zegmal,
    Try cooking in a Weber at -20 degrees and you will know why. Enough said.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,[p]It gets that cold in California?? You can't be thinkin' of North Carolina...[p]
  • Unknown
    Options
    zegmal, I have a large BGE which we love. Before, we had 4 Charbroil Charcoal Grills over the last 40 years and they were great grills with cast iron grates and good temperature control. They do not compare to the BGE which has better temp control and cooks much better food. We do pizza every week on the BGE and could not do that before. Also steaks, chicken, turkey, and any thing else is better. Food I have had from gas grills over the years just sucks.

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Green Bay, WI .... and that was during a "warm snap".

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Zeg, everyone here has given you great reasons why the BGE is such an awesome, versatile device and I concur. But I think what sets the BGE apart from other ceramic cookers is that it's the ORIGINAL ceramic cooker and that's what I like about it. There are other wannabes out there but there's nothing like the original. Best there was, Best there is, Best there ever will be.[p]Ed McLean
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Unknown
    Options
    zegmal,
    It is the best grilling / relaxing investment available if you enjoy cooking and eating better than anybody you know. (unless you know another egghead) If you did you would know the answer to your question. No kidding the money I spent on my large and am about to spend on my my small is worth it and the best testament to that is that my wife is in full support of purchasing the small. She could hardly stand to fork out the cash for the large but a year later she can't wait for the next meal and is helping me build a table to get the small up and going. Do it you won't regret it.[p]Greg

• Unknown
    Options
    zegmal,[p]Yep, chicks dig the egg. I have owned several gas grills and conventional pits (and some were really cool custom jobs) and the egg beats them all hands down when it comes to versatility and taste. Anything cooked on the egg will have a very robust flavor....sometimes ya just gotta go with your gut....but it!!![p]

• jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    Options
    zegmal,
    Actually it is a statis symbol. I hate my Egg. It is too easy to use, it makes food taste too good, it is green, it will burn a steak or cook a butt too slow. I would not get one if I were you. I would go out and buy one of those cheap looking barrel cookers and burn the food to hell.[p]Chef Jerry

• rex clingan
    rex clingan Posts: 57
    Options
    The egg is obviously a more natural shape for cooking the animal kingdom in than the apple (Weber). Great grillery is born, not sprouted.
  • grilln & chilln
    Options
    The egg or any other ceramic beats any webber or gasser hands down for all the above reasons. pp
  • Eggecutioner
    Eggecutioner Posts: 628
    Options
    zegmal,[p]I was just telling a co-worker today that my favorite reason is when the weather is really bad out (rainy, snowy, windy, whatevery) I don't have to eat tacos or goulash on those days. I can get outside and cook a great steak or even better ribs.[p]Me ending up with an egg is really my wifes fault. She bought me a water smoker for valentines day years ago and tld me I was making Ribs for the Daytona 500. Ever done ribs in a metal water smoker in March in Michigan? You'll end up with an Egg eventually.

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    zegmal,[p] Ohh one more thing.. Your grandson telling his mom when asked what he wanted for his birthday "I want an egg like Papa Pete's" Yep that right there is reason enough for me...
  • Unknown
    Options
    Everyone--[p]Thanks for the advice. OMG -- you guys are insane, but in a good way. I am already obsessive about my cooking. I hate to think about what would happen if I bought a BGE. [p]Went to BBQs Galore to check out the Egg. The salesman was adamant that the Egg was only a smoker and you could not grill on it. Seriously, I am not making this up. Apparently meat resting on a grid directly over fire is not considered grilling. Good thing this forum exists.[p]I live in Southern California so the Egg's four-season appeal is lost on me. The big draw (other than the mystique) is taste. I have never eaten food off the egg, but I keep reading about how the food just tastes better. Has anyone done a side-by-side comparison?

• Kelly Keefe
    Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
    Options
    zegmal,
    Not personally, but it happens all the time. Just ask Dr. BBQ, Nature Boy and all the other who compete, and win, on the BBQ circuit cooking on Eggs. Don't think you'll get a better side by side comparison to that![p]Kelly
    Jefferson City, MO

• Celtic Wolf
    Options
    zegmal,[p] If you are in SoCal click on the Eggs by the Bay picture on the main forum page. You can see the Egg in action at the Eggfest, sample some great food and meet some really great people.[p] Furthermore you can get a Demo Egg at a great price. It is worth the trip to San Jose.