Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cooking with large vrs small

smokn gramma g
smokn gramma g Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am now cooking with a large. I am going out to buy the small tomorrow.
We are re-shingling our roof and paying with good food. So...is there a difference in cooking between the two? I won't have time to experiment. I am cooking 4 slabs of ribs... the large, and I have plans of doing a spatch **** chicken on the small. I usually do my chicken on a raised grid on the large. I don't think the small comes with,or even has one. Could I get away with direct or will there be to many flareups?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    smokn gramma g,
    Dial 91 after you put the chicken on. Then hold the other 1 real close to the fingers. LOL
    Chubby Gratemates give you a raised grid but you don't have time for that. And I'm not even sure he made it home yet from Waldorf.
    I think I would use as little as lump as possible to get your desired temp. Since it is new, you have a nice air flow going threw it. Maybe heats quicker and lasts longer than a used egg. Just my 2 cents.[p]Mike

• I find I have to keep a closer watch of the temps on the small. Also a closer eye on the meat to make sure it does not burn.[p]Spacey
  • Car Wash Mike,
    ok, gonna try filling her up with half the lump, and starting in only a couple spots. Does that sound good?[p]Help! I am really freaking out!! I have to get this right! I have been bragging about my egg for a little over a year!
    If I screw this up... I will never hear the end of it![p]btw... I have a back up plan...gasser. I just might use it![p]

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    smokn gramma g,
    Sounds good. You know what, my eggsperience, those people don't have a clue how to cook. I'm headed to cook Saturday for MOM. She has guests, a lot of them. They all bot$%ed about my prime rib for Easter, but guess who showed up first in line. Yours will be good.
    Don't panic, use your skills and the egg.
    Mike
    Call if you need help
    816-223-9925

• Car Wash Mike,
    okay![p]thanks!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    smokn gramma g,
    i bought a weber grill (its the lump grate on a weber) to use as a raised grill in the egg. it will rust so use it for the base level and raise the bge one. i raise mine up on firebricks, but 3 cans with the top and bottom removed would work, just find some cans that are not too tall, maybe paste cans would work. the only noticealbe difference i have is that the small lights slower than the large so light it earlier to get it going. they had the weber grills at homedepot.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it