Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meatloaf Question

Options
Lightnin' Bolt
Lightnin' Bolt Posts: 37
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am curious how everyone cooks a meatloaf on the BGE. I did a quick search and found the Mexican Meatloaf which calls for a broiler pan, which I do not have right now. Is this something I need? Wanted to make one up tonight. Thanks for all your help![p]-Lightnin' Bolt

Comments

• Lightnin' Bolt
    Options
    Yeah.... so I scrolled down a little lower on the forum and had a few questions answered.... whoops.... I wonder why the search feature did not list that? [p]Any other ideas would be much appreciated on meatloaf cooking.[p]-Lightnin' Bolt
  • Richard
    Richard Posts: 698
    Options
    Lightnin' Bolt,[p]Drop down this page about 10 posts for todays previous meatloaf Q & A session

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Lightnin' Bolt,[p]Do a search for "Brinkmann Meatloaf Basket." Its quite nice for meatloaf. I've used the basket semi-direct, with just a piece of foil as a drip pan, and the loaf turned out good.[p]If you have one of those disposable grids, about 99 cents, on top of an elevated grill you can just roll up a big loaf and plop it down. Let it crisp up so it can be turned without falling apart.[p]gdenby

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    IMG_00991.jpg
    <p />gdenby,
    here ya go...BTW I bought this one at Hawgeyes. See below

[ul][li]Hawgeyes in Iowa[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    RRP,[p]How is that basket used? With a drip pan?
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Loaf.jpg
    <p />Lightnin' Bolt,
    Meatloaf is one of my favorite things from the Egg, and I've used the following guidelines/recipe lately with wonderful results (IMHO):
    about a pound each of ground turkey, ground veal, and ground buffalo;
    a couple of carrots, a stalk or 2 of celery, half a large onion, and half a green or red bell pepper, sauteed until soft;
    2/3rds or so a jar of Muir Glen Pasta Sauce (any flavor [or your favorite sauce]), until a moist but firm consistency is reached;
    Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks or Cowlick to taste;
    Mix the above, and place in a plastic wrapped loaf pan in the fridge, ideally for a few hours;
    Egg setup with platesetter and drip pan at 350ish, HolE Smokes Silicone Mats (from the BBQ Guru folks) on the grid;
    Turn out loaf onto the mats and cook until 160 internal, about an hour and a half, glazing with a food processor mixed combination of some of the pasta sauce and honey after a half hour or so.
    Good fresh, and the best sandwiches ever with the lefovers!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Haggis, yes I place it on my grid sitting on a plate setter with the legs UP. Furthermore to catch the grease emitted I cover my plate setter with foil though you could use throw away drip pan. BTW the point not made was this basket allows a terrific smoke ring clear around in a meatloaf - again, not the meatloaf recipe your Mother learned from Ann Landers! har har har

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.