Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

making my first meatloaf on the egg tonight.....any suggestions??

Options
mikeb6109
mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well going to attempt making my first meatloaf on the egg tonight.all i need now is directions suggestions and maybe a few recipes so i can try out something good and different from my regular oven one!trowing on a few pork tenderlonis at the same time . having a few guests over for super!!
mike

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    mikeb6109,[p]Something that worked for me was to take some tomato pesto and mix it with pureed pepproncini, and work that through the ground meat. I added a handful of breadcrumbs to soak up the excess liquid. It added a nice bit of tang.[p]gdenby
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    mikeb6109,
    this ones different, i wouldnt use the ground chicken again because i would want to cook it to a lower internal temp. the raisins plump back into grapes if you add them,

[ul][li]brasciole style meatloaf[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    mikeb6109,
    You can see the way I make meatloaf in the cooks section of my website...[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    mikeb6109,
    here's a terrific meatloaf recipe that is a favorite of ours - trust me this is not your Mother's meatloaf!

[ul][li]click here[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mikeb6109
    Options
    WessB,
    thanks wess i think i will go with yours,looks simple but at the same time real good! also like the tamato sauce idea.
    thanks mike

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    mikeb6109,[p]It all depends on your taste. With meatloaf, folks are putting so much stuff in there that I would not recognize it as meatloaf.[p]I like to keep it simple which brings back some actual memories of what Ma used to make. And it just happens to turn out great on the egg.[p]Just a pound and half of lean ground beef; one onion finely chopped; a cup of fresh bread crumbs; one egg; a bit of worcestershire sauce; some thyme; garlic salt; and a half cup of ketchup all mixed together and formed into a loaf. Rub another half a cup of ketchup on top placing the loaf (NOT in any type of pan) into an indirect set-up over a drip pan at 350 until an internal temp of 160 - about one hour.[p]To me, this taste like real meatloaf.
  • StumpBaby
    StumpBaby Posts: 320
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]
    Good Lord man! You got everythin in there sept maybe beeks an ****! I don't know what i'd do if i put a tiny raisin in mine meatloaf and it plumpt way up into the size of a grape. I'd prolly throw the hole damned sneaky tricky magic meatloaf thing away an go cook me some chicken.. or i'd forget all bout eatin nuttin an hurry an bake me anotha won with my man goobers in it.[p]StumpBaby[p]

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    mikeb6109,
    There are many receipes so I won't make a recommendation.[p]Smoked my first meatloag recently. Couldn't find a wire,bread basket here in Metro KC. So I cooked it in my wok.[p]I cook everything @ 225 to 250. After about 5 hours the internal temp reached 165. Everybody that tasted it ask me to cook another. It even had a smoke ring.[p]Meatloaf has joined the rotation of foods I cook.[p]

• John
    John Posts: 62
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    Sounds lik da recipe fo success. Get er dun. John

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    100_1227.jpg
    <p />StumpBaby,
    after you get over the raisins in the meatloaf thing, it seems natural to put apricots and prunes in your lamb stew.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    meatloafsandwich0001.jpg
    <p />mikeb6109, man no matter how you fix it, make extra! The meatloaf sandwich is one of my favorites. The one pictured was lunch today and gone by the time I typed this....LOL! T

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • mikeb6109
    Options
    mikeb6109,
    well guys here is what i decided.....all i added was red onions,green peppers,cowlick,2 eggs,tomato sauce (garlic flavour)crushed crackers.mixed all well then added to a bunt pan.now i have the egg at 325 indirect and going to place it on.half way true the bake as per wessb's idea i will remove it drain the fat and then add some more tomatoe sauce ,then continue the cook!looking good already and it has not hit the egg .....
    mike
    meatloaf1.jpg
    oh yeah i sprinkled some regular dizy dust here on the top as you can see!!