Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Special on Shrimp

bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I stopped by the seafood counter at my local grocer and ended up buying 3 lbs of fresh X-large shrimp (large shrimp? isn't that an oxymoron?). Blue's Lime and Garlic shrimp caught my eye as I was perusing the forum yesterday, so I also picked up some limes and bamboo skewers. I saw that Blue peeled them and cooked them direct at 300. I have no eggsperience with shrimp and would welcome other recommendations for cooking.

Comments

• Cheryl
    Cheryl Posts: 18
    bdavidson,
    I've done shrimp on my BGE a few times in the short time I've had it....delish every time! I like to cook them direct so they get that nice grilled look and taste. [p]You can season them with whatever suits your fancy. I like to use a kinda spicy cajun mix. Also like to butterfly them so there's more surface area for the seasoning. Usually toss them with a little vegetable oil and the spices and let them "steep" for an hour or so before grilling. [p]Depending how spicy your shrimp are, a rice/veggie pilaf underneath makes a nice "neutral" accompaniment.[p]If the shrimp are big enough, you don't need to worry about using skewers...I had some last month so big that 6 of em made an even pound![p]Good luck!

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    shrimp.jpg
    <p />Brad,[p]I posted this one on Basso's forum several years ago and have had a lot of compliments since then. If you go with it, double or triple the amount of honey.[p]K~G
    [ul][li]grilled shrimp[/ul]
  • bdavidson, Be sure not to overcook them, couple minutes a side, or until they turn pink.

• bdavidson
    KennyG,
    Oh, man, they look good! Thanks.
    Guests arrive in 2 hours. I'm going with garlic and lime marinate today, but am saving this recipe for next week!

• bdavidson
    shiek,
    I bought three types of fish to kabob along with the shrimp. I'm planning to do Mahi, Marlin, and Mako (just sounded "MMMmmm-good") with the shrimp. I'll peel the shrimp first and marinate with the fish for about 30 minutes before grilling. Probably 350-400 degrees. 3 minutes per side. What do you think?
    bd

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    bdavidson,
    Just curious here...what do you consider a "special on shrimp" in your area?
    And yes, George Carlin did a thing on "jumbo shrimp" making as much sense as "military intelligence".

• bdavidson
    Shelby,
    I don't buy shrimp all that often since one of my sons is allergic to shellfish, but I bought 31-count shrimp at $4.99/lb this morning.