Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chipoltes on the Egg

Why1504
Why1504 Posts: 277
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, in honor or Cinco de Mayo, I came up with about 50 red jalpanos, 10 green jalpanos, and 4 big pablanos.put them on the egg last night for the 24-30 hour smoke using my 3 tier rack. Will be done tonight. These should last for a while. Now I gotta find that adobo sauce recipe. For info, I do these @ 150 degrees (yes you need a BBQ Guru) with oak, hickory, and pecan. Everyone who can, grabs some when I do them, they are great in all kinds of food - rubs, sauce, bread, hamburgers, mexican, etc. I have even heard of people using them in bread. Good, flavorful, smokey heat.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    why1504,
    this is a great post.
    i thnik some folks have done 150 or so for short cooks without the guru, but this really does need 24-30 hours probably to truly dry the peppers out.[p]i think if i were ever to get a guru, it would be for these super-long almost 'cold smoke' kinda cooks. this is the kind of cook i'd like to do, but don't think i could by just trying to maintian 150 "the old fashioned way". ...i suppose you could do it with a smoke box attached to the upper vent and offset thru metal dryer vent like some have.[p]any pics? ...this thread deserves a little more attention.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    why1504,
    This sounds really good. I have questions about the lump to wood ratio.
    With meat, we use a chunk or two of wood on top of the charcoal for smoke early on.
    For something like this, do you use more wood?
    How do you set up the fire? Thank you so much.

• Why1504
    stike,[p]I use quite a bit of wood here. Actually I didtribute pellets and wood chunks throughout the lump stack. Normally I would use high end charcoal, but all I had was Royal Oak from WalMart. We are now @ the 22 hour mark and it seems to be lasting a good ling while. As for maintaining 150 without the Guru, well I won't say it can't be done but before I got a guru I tried to hold a temp of 200 and it wouldn't hold there with the egg really clean. As for the smoke box, there again you could use that method but it would require quite a bit of attention. Sorry, no pics. I am a good photographer but getting pics posted here, well That's a challenge for me. [p]One last thing is uses. We use these in just about everything. Chilli powder, BBQ rubs, BBQ sauce, just about anything that needs heat and smokeiness. Not to be a naturalist, but we really like stuff made from the raw ingredients. Yes I use Dizzy Pig and Lota Bull but we also make our own.[p]Good Luck
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    hayhonker,
    don't forget... smoke adds flavor no matter when you introduce it into the cook. lots of mythical 'advice' floating around that smoke only "absorbs" at the beginning of a cook, etc.[p]smoke would add flavor if you introduced it only at the very end of a cook.[p]it's only the smoke RING that stops forming at 140, early into a lo-and-slo cook. and that 140 temp is surface temp, not the internal temp deep down. keep in mind too that the smoke ring is not reflective of absorbed smoke, just the nitric acid which wicks into the meat (formed from nitrites in smoke landing ON meat).[p]whew. hate to sound lilke a broken record... but if these urban bbq myths can be debunked, it'll help us all understand why stuff happens.[p]...so if you forget to add smoke at the beginning, remember that there is no difference if you have to add it at the end.[p][p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Why1504
    why1504,[p]Well most of the peppers are done but not all of them. I did more this time than I have ever done before using the 3 tier rack. I figure the last peppers will tank about 6 more hours. If the fire holds that will be a 40 hour cook using Royal Oak. We are at 36 hours right now. This is a new record for me.