Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problem keeping Egg lit initially

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We just bought a Big Green Egg about a month ago and LOVE it. Just recently, though, we are having a very difficult time keeping the thing lit initially. We were using the lighter squares to start the fire and it worked great. Last night we gave up because we could not get the fire lit. What might we be doing wrong?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Holly Jones,
    tell us how you are doing it... maybe there's something simple.[p]first off, though, light like this.[p]stir the lump well to drop the ash from the previous fire.
    check the lower vent to make sure the ash isn't blocking the lower vent or that there's so much it's impeding airflow.[p]then, set bottom vent open, daisy open or off.
    open the dome, drop some starter squares (or whatever else you use), maybe build a little teepee of lump over the starters, then SHUT the dome. you want draft. keeping the dome open defeats this.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Holly Jones, I don't use the squares so I can not comment on that. explain the process you go through to start the egg. I use a Mapp gas torch, and hit 1-3 areas for about 45 seconds each, bottom vent wide open and top cap removed, dome closed. In about 20 minutes I can be at 250- 400, I then put the adjustable cap on and settle the egg down to 350 or what ever temp I want. Maybe be a little longer with a plate setter. I also always top off my lump on every cook to the bottom of the fire ring.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Holly Jones,[p]The first thing I'd suggest is taking the fire ring and box out to check and see how much ash may be in the bottom. Good air flow really is important.[p]Then, I'd have to ask if you're letting the fire get well established. I've almost put the fire out when I shut the vents too far when the fire was only getting the dome to 225.[p]A lot of folks use a gas torch, such as a propane ar MAPP gas weed burner to light the lump. 40 - 60 seconds with one of those, and even damp charcoal blazes.[p]gdenby

• stike
    Options
    Holly Jones,
    ...here's how i do it.[p]i am at the egg for MAYBE a minute. and the egg will hit 700 in fifteen minutes.[p]

[ul][li]cheap and easy[/ul]
  • citychicken
    citychicken Posts: 484
    Options
    stike,
    thanks stike for your post. since i first saw it a few weeks ago, it is now the way i light my egg. you are so right it is so very stupid easy and i always have enough napkins and olive oil for the start. just the thing a stupid easy guy like me needs

• Shoe
    Shoe Posts: 67
    Options
    stike,[p]Do you close the dome while the paper towel is burning?
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    stike,
    I love this metod, used it Fri. I used a couple of paper towels that i wiped my hands with after rubbing potatoes with oil for egging. Works great!

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Holly Jones,[p]Posts below are all great they just missed one thing, could your lump be damp? If you don't have your charcoal stored in a waterproof container then there's a pretty good chance your lump may have gotten damp. [p]Good for you learning to light the charcoal the "old fashioned way" first. I'm a strong believer in that and learning to control your dome temperatures by using the lower vent and the daisy wheel. It's a short learning curve but well worth it before investing in MAPP torches or a Guru. Once you've mastered the real basics then go spend your money! Enjoy and eat well.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Holly Jones,There is another possibility, If you are using Royal Oak that was made in Argintina,that stuff is very difficuit to light and to keep burning. The origin of the lump is on the side of the bag. When you buy royal Oak lump, look to see that it is "Made in USA" I hope this was some help.

• Unknown
    Options
    stike,
    Seems I am doing everything right...except I keep the dome open for about 5-7 minutes per the instructions when first lighting. Maybe I should try to close it and see what happens. Otherwise....I do have the vent open and daisy off. Like I said..never a problem in the beginning..but now it is. I will clean the old ash out as well to make sure it is not blocking anything. Thanks for all the posts!!

• stike
    Options
    Shoe,
    no...
    i had to, or my picture would have been just a pic of the dome!
    heh heh heh.
    i shut the lid to establish draft as soon as possible.

• stike
    Options
    markkal123,
    i cribbed it from another guy on the forum who related it maybe a year ago.[p]i forget who it was. ...can't take the credit. it is easy though. lots of flame, too.

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    Holly Jones,[p]"except I keep the dome open for about 5-7 minutes per the instructions when first lighting"[p]That's pobably your problem. I think you will get a much better draft with the lid closed. You can even keep the daisy wheel on, just slide it wide-open.[p]Cleaning out the old ash doesn't hurt either. Just make sure the holes in the fire box and in the bottom grate are not blocked. I have vacuumed my egg only twice in 3 years, and I never have problems. I just use the ash tool to keep all the holes clear, and scoop out the ash from the sides and center of the bottom of the egg.
  • stike
    Options
    Captglen,
    real good point. or damp lump...[p]

• stike
    Options
    cecil,
    it's funny, but i have pretty much (after lighting the egg this way for maybe 3 months) given up the idea that i "still" need to remember to buy some starter cubes. i guess now this is "how i light the egg".[p]glad to hear it works for you. i wish the dude that mentioned thison the forum for the first time would chime in for proper credit.