Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket: Fat side up or down?

Ottawa_egger
Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first brisket early in the morning and I've seen recipes citing both orientations. Fat side up seems logical so the rendered fat can keep the meat moist, but I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say.[p]Also, what do I do with the brisket once it is cooked? Brisket isn't a staple in this neck of the woods, so do I slice it for sandwiches or serve like a roast beef?[p]Ottawa_egger

Comments

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    I've always done it fat side up with a few slices of bacon on top so fat drips down into the meat.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    I've always done it fat side up with a few slices of bacon on top so fat drips down into the meat.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Ottawa_egger,[p]I am by no means a brisket guru, but since most of the brisket gurus are either at Waldorf or asleep or both and since you're starting this thing early in the morning, I'll give you my 2 cents.[p]I, too, have read methods that say fat cap up and methods that say fat cap down. The best explanation I read - and I can't remember who to attribute it to - is that there is enough fat and connective tissue inside the brisket to keep the meat moist, thus the fat cap isn't really aiding you tremendously, thus it's better utilized facing down and thus further protecting your brisket from the radiant heat off the platesetter.[p]Slice it thin, against the grain, and at an angle.[p]Good luck,[p]TRex
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC01873a.jpg
    <p />Ottawa_egger,[p]When barbecuing one in an Egg, cook with the fat down, as TRex mentioned, to use the fat as a heat shield. You may also want to form a foil shield to protect the ends for 4 or 5 hours.[p]DSC01859a.jpg[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • You can say that again.

Bill