Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stupid Newbie Sparerib Question

Options
David B.
David B. Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know to q fat side up. On spares, which is that? The membrane side and the other side both have fat. I removed the membrane, there doesn't seem to be much meat on that side, just a thin layer of fat. So, which side goes up?[p]David B.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    David_B.,
    I start with the bone side down and flip every 45 minutes.
    Larry

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    David_B.,
    NO question is stupid. What's stupid is the person looking for help and won't ask for it.
    The bone side should go down. If vertical in a rack, then the meater side of the ribs would be down. Good luck you'll love em.
    B D

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    David_B(owie).,
    Rule of thumb on this forum.....there is no such thing as a "dumb question" here. So never be embarrassed about asking anything, no matter how simple it may seem.
    Welcome to da' family!!!!!
    ST

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    David_B.,[p]Since they will cook 4-6 hrs, it really makes no diffrence which way you start. I start meaty side up but no reason really, and if using a rib rack they are on there sides. In any case, flip / rotate every 45-60 min and cook for a meat temp of 190-200 deg. Longer is better.[p]Tim
  • Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Options
    David_B.,[p]It doesn't matter. I think the bones would disentegrate before spare rib meat dries out on a BGE. If I'm using a heat deflector, I don't even bother flipping them, though I may occationally shuffle them around the grid in case there is a cool or hot spot to worry about.[p]Enjoy![p]Brant