Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Ribs

Options
RU Eggsperienced
RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Plan on making Baby Back Ribs this weekend. Got 4 slabs for my Large BGE. Any good advice on the best cook temp and expected timing..
[ul][li]JerryD Rub[/ul]

Comments

• SouthOfI10
    SouthOfI10 Posts: 213
    Options
    DSC00569.jpg
    <p />JerryD,
    This has become my preferred setup per some tips from CWM. If you have 4 slabs, you will probably need to use a rack set-up like BajaTom or some other folks show. I have squeezed three slabs on there flat, but there's not a lot of room after that. For BBs, I have been using 235F at rib level using a BBQ Guru (250ish dome), and they have been averaging 6 hours +/-1/2 hr until they break when bending the slab. Whether it's necessary or not, I spritz with apple juice/pineapple/worcestershire/vinegar and feel that it adds another "layer" of flavor. I used to put water or apple juice in the pan, but have gotten lazy.[p]Dang, now I want some ribs....[p]Best of luck,[p]ss

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    SouthOfI10,
    I used that pineapple juice/ maple syrup and a little Worchestshire sauce in my last 2 boston butts.
    I don't mind cooking, but for the whole crowd. Thank you so much for that tip.
    Mike
    Oh the town is 1200 people.[p]Eggfoot is going to have a fest in Omaha, NE.
    Glad you liked the ribs. I was wanting to do something in Hotlanta but I don't think that is going to happen.

Mike

• RU Eggsperienced
    RU Eggsperienced Posts: 1,527
    Options
    Hi SouthOfI10,[p]Thanks for the advice![p]You helped me out a month or two ago too.. I cooked two Boston Butts and injected them as you suggested. I didn't have Pinapple juice but used a mixture of orange juice and Grapefruit juice along w/the Maple syrup and Worsteshire per your recommendation. Those were the best yet! Thanks.[p]So tomorrow will be 4 racks of ribs, I have a rib rack that holds 4 so think it will be good. I'll take some pictures. [p]Cheers,[p]JerryD
    [ul][li]My simple BGE Page[/ul]
  • SouthOfI10
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    Hey, man. Well, I would like to take credit for the butt injection (sorry folks, it's not like it sounds) because it is really good, but I swiped that original idea from someone else (I think it was BajaTom) and added the pineapple juice to cut the viscosity of the grade B maple syrup. By far, this injection has been the best yet for me and butts.[p]Come to Hotlanta this year if you can. I'm making it a priority. I want a mini but can't justify it....[p]Spokoynoy Nocha, fella. Tomorrow is ABTs for me...
    DSC00405.jpg

• SouthOfI10
    Options
    JerryD,
    Awesome website! I'm not quite that computer savvy. And thanks for the compliment on the injection, but I was just passing on someone else's idea that I found noteworthy (I'm crediting BajaTom, but my apologies if I am wrong). I only added the pineapple juice because I thought it would cut the syrup and add to the acidity (sorry for the geekness, but I am a chemist). Hmmm, you have me curious as to what adding grapefruit or other citrus will do... Man, this is a great hobby.[p]Post some pics of the ribs!