Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip at Trader Joes'

Options
duckegg
duckegg Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody tried it?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    duckegg,
    no
    but nice to know they carry it.
    how much?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • duckegg
    Options
    stike,
    I don't have their flyer handy but I think it was about $4 a pound. Sounded good to me.

• Herm
    Herm Posts: 206
    Options
    duckegg,
    I did, and I thought it was great.
    I'll be getting another one soon.[p]

• duckegg
    Options
    stike,
    Check that! All Natural Austrailian Tri-Tip $4.99 lb.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    duckegg,
    select or choice?
    sounds good if choice

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    stike,
    It is choice and comes plain or seasoned. I use to buy them all the time until Sams started to carry tri tip regularly. Around St Louis they $5.99 a LB. Good luck, Tom

• JQuinn
    JQuinn Posts: 44
    Options
    duckegg,
    that is a great price compared to mine last week at publix. It was 6.99 per pound. what is the average price??? later JQ

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    duckegg,
    YES!! I find it to rival the best in the supermarkets. Trader Joe's is Choice grade ($5.99/pound). Out here in tri-tip country, most supermarkets carry Select grade ($2.99/pound) although they don't tell you that. They call it by some other market specific name and you have to specifically ask "What grade is it?" Usually the person behind the counter won't tell you right off. You have to insist that you want to know the USDA grade and let them know that you know all meat sold in the US has to have been graded they will finally tell you.[p]As to Trader Joe's tri-tip: that is all I buy anymore ... it is well worth the extra dollars.[p]So I'd say, "Run, don't walk and get all they have".

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    JQuinn,
    I've paid 9.99 at a la-dee-da grocery store. I've also paid 1.99 a pound at a butcher. [p]Honestly the 9.99 tritip was better and more tender. The one from the butcher was cut off the cow and then into my hands. Musta be a select cow :>)[p]H

• DaytonEgger
    DaytonEgger Posts: 66
    Options
    dhuffjr,[p]Is the la-dee-da grocery store DLM by any chance? They sometimes have a tri-tip for sale, but they are always on the small side.

• BBQ Savant
    BBQ Savant Posts: 22
    Options
    duckegg,
    I've cooked 4 or 5 T Joes tri tips and they are very good. I did a hugh one this past Friday night and plan to slice up the leftovers for sandwiches tonight.