Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blackened Tilapia

Options
ScottinKC
ScottinKC Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I don't get on this forum very often, so this simple recipe may have already been posted.[p]This is the simplest, easiest, best tasting fish recipe you may ever try.[p]1) pre-heat egg to 500 or so (use cast iron skiilet / griddle if you have)[p]1) melt some (2-3 sticks) butter - I like plugra[p]2) dredge the talapia filet in butter[p]3) coat butter-covered filet on both sides with Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish Magic (http://shop.chefpaul.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=68)[p]4) grill on cast iron for 2+ minutes per side - no more. Use any butter left over from step 2 to drizzle over fish while cooking.[p]5) serve with whatever you like, but it's nice to have a small container with additional butter (http://www.kellerscreamery.com/our-brands/plugra/) to dip the fish in.[p]Outstanding!![p]

Comments

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Scottinkc,
    Do you use oil or butter in the skillet or do you just put the "butter dredged" fish right in the iron pan?

• Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Options
    Scottinkc,
    Didn't Blackened used to mean Burned?

• ScottinKC
    Options
    Tiger Tony,[p]There is no need for any butter oil or additional butter prior to putting the fish on. The butter they were originally coated in, in additional to the left over amount that I sometimes drizzle on is more than ample.

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    Scottinkc,[p]I make this all the time under a broiler when I want a real quick meal. I throw a couple Tilapia filets in an ovenproof skillet, coat with some sort of oil and lots of Redfish Magic. Broild each side for about 2 1/2 minutes. Tilapia doesn't smell at all so no fishy smell in the house. By far the easiest, best recipe. You can use any kind of rub actually. DP Shakin' the Tree, Swamp Venom, Jamaican Firewalk, etc. They all taste great. Squeeze a little wedge of lemon over. Mmmmmmm.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    bkfs3.jpg
    <p />Scottinkc,
    I have only cooked catfish, but thanks. This is next on my list.[p]Mike

• ScottinKC
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Let me know how it works for you. Cast iron and high temps, coupled with butter and proper seasoning = very good.