Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very fine paint cracks on Humpty

ColoradoCook
ColoradoCook Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All,[p]My egg is 3 months old, I noticed that there are very fine cracks in the green paint on the lower half of the egg only, is this normal? The top half is fine. The cracks are similar to how a painting looks when it ages. I wonder if the quality of the paint and quality control were lacking when the sprayed a batch of bottoms and mine was one of them. The Egg works great it just a cosmetic thing.[p]Thanks

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    ColoradoCook,
    That is the glaze crazing. It's pretty normal for any ceramic. It seems worse if the ceramic is hot and drenched - like as in rain or pouring water on when hot, it shock cools the glaze. Don't worry - it's pretty normal for the Eggs that live outdoors -- like mine.[p]Tim

• SLOPPY PIG
    SLOPPY PIG Posts: 33
    ColoradoCook,The finish on Ole Humpty is a glaze that is fired on at extreme high temps.This would be the same finish you would find on other ceramic pieces in your home.I do not know what causes the lines,but they do not create problems of any kind.I have small ceramic plates and sculptures that are 30-40 yrs old that have the same type of lines.It may possibly be something in the glaze,but I really don't know.It will not effect anything with the Egg's cooking ability and should you have any problem BGE would stand behind the product for you.JUST COOK ON BROTHER!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Tim M,
    Glaze Crazing.[p]I like that. I have all of their albums![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ