Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-1-1 ribs on a mini? (link)

Options
Ottawa_egger
Ottawa_egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm going to enter my girls (ages 7 & 9) in the following rib cookoff, amateur division:[p]http://www.gloucesterfair.ca/programs/bbq/bbq.htm[p]For $25 you get two racks of baby backs, rubs, sauce, and a shot at glory. I figure it will be a good time and a nice learning experience. The problem is, all I have is a large and a mini, so that leaves me with doing ribs on the mini (probably just one rack). I realize I will probably have to do a lump reload halfway, unless I can start the fire directly on the ceramic (i.e. remove the grate - comments?)[p]I am wondering if anyone has previously concocted an indirect cooking setup for the mini? I have a mini wooring on order from tjv, so if that arrives in time I might try the original grill on the fire ring supporting a drip pan/heat barrier, wooring for separation, and my mini cast iron grill (this weekend's project) on top of the wooring. This should give me enough room to put a rack of ribs (obviously cut in half or in thirds).[p]Any comments?[p]Ottawa_egger

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,
    i dunno. sounds tough to do.
    how hard is it to transport the large? do you feel comfortable enough to take the dome off to make it a bit easier to move? ...i guess, "no" if you think your only option is the mini.[p]i did a trimmed rack of spares on the small. had to array them around the center, corner touching,in pinwheel fashion. b-backs would obviously be a better fit.[p]regardless, sounds like a fun time. good luck.[p]heeeey...
    you could always buy a small. heh heh heh.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Smokey One
    Smokey One Posts: 17
    Options
    Ottawa_egger,[p]Several years ago someone made one rack of ribs on a mini. They were roled up and had a squewer through them. I seem to recall the results being very good. I think two cooking grids and a small 8 inch drip pan were used to create an indirect set up.[p]the "Smokey One"