Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coffee Roastin

AL
AL Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone ever roasted Coffee Beans in the Egg?

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Al,
    I'm sure someone has tried it but possibly without much success. Otherwise there would be some discussion on it. [p]This very topic was discussed at the Texas Eggfest. Someone who sounded like they may be in the know said coffee beans need to be in constant rotation when roasting in order to keep the roasting even. Sounds reasonable to me. If you came up with some type of tumbler device that would work in the Egg I'm sure you could roast the beans. They may not be as tasty as beans roasted in a more neutral flavored heated air. But certainly worth a try.[p]Spring "Love The Smell Of Coffee Roasting In The Morning" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Al,
    I roast coffee but not in an egg. Never tried, I 'm fine with my roaster. Now some people take their old gasser and convert it to roast coffee rather than cook with it.

• Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Al,
    I seem to recall this subject came up a few years ago and there was a member who had done this. I cant recall who though, sorry.

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Spring Chicken,
    Ever see those popcorn cookers for a fireplace or campfire?[p]You could probably do them in one of those and roast your gasket in the process.[p]One of these day's I'll get a roaster and join the ranks of serious coffee snobs :>)[p]Dennis "minor coffee snob" Huff

• Luke Bizzy
    Luke Bizzy Posts: 17
    Al,
    I also roast my own, but not on my BGE. The motion factor mentioned above is the main reason I haven't tried it. Here is a link to a site that has some interesting homemade roasters.
    http://www.sweetmarias.com/homemade-homeroasters.htm[p]regards,
    Luke Bizzy

[ul][li]homemade coffee roasters[/ul]