Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Char-Woodys FireCracker Brats revsited

Options
Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
(This is reprinted text from a response to Char-Woody. He responded to my earlier post "Oh the Eggbarrassment". I thought I'd post my reply as a stand alone so those interested might try Char-Woody's recipe (found in Submitted Recipes. I have made a variation to his excellent recipe and I invite you to try both versions and add your own twist if you like!)[p]
Char-Woody,[p]First let me say how much I liked the original version! Having said that, what I do lately is this:[p]After covering the brats with mustard I put a generous coat of dry rub on them. I'm sure any rub you prefer will work nicely. The rub I use is a variation of the Barbequed Rib Rub found in the recipe for Lone Star Spareribs, Smoke and Spice (Jamison & Jamison) pg. 69. To that list of ingredients I add[p]Essence of Emmeril
Corriander
Bay Leaves
Dry Mustard
Juniper Berries
Sesame Seeds[p]My wife loves that mix on my Baby Backs and doesn't care for mustard on her brats, so I figured why not use one to help the other?[p]I cook mine a number of different ways as I'm still trying to perfect them, in any case I cook them with the dome closed. I like to cook them low and slow. The mustard taste is a little more pronounced that way though. My wife likes her hot dogs and brats kinda charred on the outside so I'm playing around with adding heat for the char either at the beginning or the end of the cook. I think I'm liking the low slow start finished by opening the doors and letting the barn catch fire, just as long as they don't cook too long and get dry or tough.[p]When done right these babys are fantastic, so juicy, flavorful. No need to put ANYTHING on them! However I'm a fan of spicy mustard, kraut and dill pickle spear myself so I can't limit my self to the naked brat, well unless your talking about the chef's TEST brat that has to be eaten before serving the others;).[p]Hope you try this (or similar) variation and let me know what you think.[p]Stuart

Comments