Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with pork chops and salmon!

Options
Slim
Slim Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long do i cook both pork chops and salmon steaks? and at what temp? thank you

Comments

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    slim,
    I will take the pork chops and leave the salmon to others.
    Cook the chops like steaks, Hot and Fast. I am assuming that the chops are 1 to 1.5 inches thick. Cook at 700+ for 3 minutes per side with an 7 minute dwell.[p]You are in for a treat,
    RhumAndJerk

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I did my first chops last night and now find out that your method would be much better. I cooked for 6 min @ 500 and charred the livin crud out of em'. I thought I read somewhere here that's what I was supposed to do. Next time either cook them @ a lower temp or do just what you said. 3/3/7. The taste was fine and I pulled them @ 150. Next time also I will pull @ 140/145.[p]Mick

• Slim
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,thanks! sounds great I am putting some kind of charcrust on them just have to decide which 1! thanks again

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    slim,
    The Hickory Molasses is our favorite. Next in line is the Original Flavor.
    Happy Searing,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    MickeyT.,[p]I agree with Mr. R&J on the chop method. I did some "thick cut loin center chops" the other day (about 1.5 inch thick). Temps in the mini were in the nuclear range (not exactly sure how hot since I didn't have my thermometer in, but they were in the 700 range). I did these for 4-4-8 and they came out delicious! I say try 3-3-7 or 4-4-8 or somewhere in between (3.14159265-3.14159265-7.5). Good luck![p]Cornfed

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Cornfed,
    pi-pi-pi squared.
    Ha!
    R&J
    (sorry for the geek moment)[p]

• TOROLNSTND
    TOROLNSTND Posts: 38
    Options
    slim, Salmon does best in the 400-450 range, cook filets skin side down for 5-7 minutes then flip over for 4-5 more, use a fish grid with a good coating of olive oil(stay away from Canola and other motor oils). As a general rule I go the same time for salmon steaks up to 1 1/4" thick adding a minute per side for each 1/4" over. Apply the same rule to most fish (saltwater fish anyway) but it's best to under-cook until you get the hang of it, you can always throw it back on the fire, over-cooked just gets thrown to the dog.
  • Unknown
    Options
    TOROLNSTND, its about time you showed up...I was about ready to toss out a drag net..!! :-) Having my fun today..
    Cheers atcha..
    C~W[p]

• Slim
    Options
    TOROLNSTND,thank you that was very informative and the dog will have to fight me for anything i cook on mr humpty[p]