Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare rib problem

Options
Big Hoser
Big Hoser Posts: 104
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, this is the 2nd time this has happened doing spares. I setup 3 full racks using the v-rack and what happens is the front most rack gets good bark, but the next 2 get only good bark at the top and the rest of the face of the rib looks almost uncooked (you can still see some of the mustard over 4 hours later). After 4 hours, I rotated the ribs front to back and that helped some, but still only the rack that started up front ended up with good bark (still turned out good though after slathering with some Blues Hog. First time trying that sauce and thought it was great, can't be the color and a nice spicy kick after the intial sweet taste). I held a dome temp of 240-260 the whole time, indirect with plate setter and smoked with guava wood (just got that in from guava greg. Very nice and different smell). [p]I wonder if my problem is because the ribs kind of laid back on top of each other, thus the front covering the the middle, the middle covering the back, meaning the only the front was directly exposed to the heat and smoke. What's the solution? Rotate more frequently or get a different rib rack? Thanks in advance for the advice.[p]

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    3e9e789e.jpg
    <p />Big Hoser,
    Try trimming your spares down to St louis style ribs and get a rib rack. Smoke your ribs and the tips for at least 5 hours at 240/250. I wrap the ends with foil so they don't burn. Good luck, Tom

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Big Hoser,
    i always cook them direct when standing them up, rotate and turn after a few hours. if they touch they wont get as much color. if flat i go inderect or direct depending on the days schedule. flat makes for better looking ribs. also, if you thin the sauce with some juice, you can take them out when they are done, turn the heat up and cooke a rack at a time while basting to get a more even color. basting quickly and flipping adds a nice crunch to the exterior of finished ribs that i like

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Big Hoser,[p]When I'm setting up ribs that are flopping over on each other, I run several bamboo skewers through the rib sections. Usually I can get them standing up with a bit of seperation between each section so the hot air can pass over the surface. It also means I'll at least be able to spray at least a little fluid over them later in the cook.[p]gdenby
  • Big Hoser
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]When you go flat, do you have room for 3 full racks, or do you stack 'em? Thanks.[p]Dan

• Big Hoser
    Options
    gdenby,[p]I might have to try the skewer idea. Thanks. [p]Dan

• Mr Beer
    Mr Beer Posts: 121
    Options
    Big Hoser,
    By cooking indirect with the plate setter at low temperatures you are forcing all the hot air to the outside therefore making the outside cook faster than the inside. [p]I always cook my ribs direct (usually 250 to 275 degrees) - they cook more evenly that way.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Big Hoser,
    when cooking 3 or more i stand them up, 2 is my normal flat cook.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    gratenribs.jpg
    <p />Big Hoser,

• BBQROCKS
    BBQROCKS Posts: 3
    Options
    Big Hoser,
    Roll the ribs in a circle, stick a bamboo skewer thru them to keep them rolled but separate the meat and stand them up on their edge. One can get an easy 5 slabs by doing it this way on a large BGE. Go to Virtualweberbullet.com for pics.

Stay Hungry my Friends
  • Bajatom,[p]Interesting setup as I always worry about the ends burning being so close to the edge. Curious, what size drip pan are you using? Looks like a turkey pan. [p]Howard

• Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    Options
    Big Hoser, Cutting to St. Louis style and using the skewer is your best answer. If they are touching each other the smoke and heat cannot get in there. Keep trying - spares make the BEST ribs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    Options
    TACH18K, Did you make that yourself ?? It looks like you just cut some rods out of the top rack ???? How do you have it attached to the bottom rack ???? I WANT ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!