Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh the Eggbarrassment!

Options
Stuart
Stuart Posts: 110
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I have been raving about a variation of Char Woody's Firecracker Brats I cook every now and then. My wife and mother in law were out of town so I thought it time I treat my father in law Pete to the goods. Being from Iowa he can always appreciate a good brat![p]It was a beautiful day on Sunday so I packed up the kids and took the mini to the swim club. While the kids swam, Pete and I got dinner ready. A simple meal of Brats, Corn on the cobb, chips and beer was the menu that night. Other members of the swim club already had a hot grill going so I simply added some lump to it and put the corn on in husk and a small pan of kraut later to warm it up. [p]Well Pete had handled the simmering the brats in beer part at home and I suspect he boiled them done. After the cook on the mini the meat was over done! I've never over cooked something on the egg. It was such a disappointment. Just goes to show; 1) Be careful with delegating any part of your cook to some one else. 2) When you don't have home field advantage be extra attentive, and 3) The mini is always ready to take advantage of you if you let it! [p]I guess I'll just have to impress Pete another time. Darn guess I'll have to make brats again this weekend!

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    stuart,
    Lay that variation on us..its almost the 4th of July again..Love those rascals.
    C~W

• Stuart
    Stuart Posts: 110
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]First let me say how much I liked the original version! Having said that, what I do lately is this:[p]After covering the brats with mustard I put a generous coat of dry rub on them. I'm sure any rub you prefer will work nicely. The rub I use is a variation of the Barbequed Rib Rub found in the recipe for Lone Star Spareribs, Smoke and Spice (Jamison & Jamison) pg. 69. To that list of ingredients I add[p]Essence of Emmeril
    Corriander
    Bay Leaves
    Dry Mustard
    Juniper Berries
    Sesame Seeds[p]My wife loves that mix on my Baby Backs and doesn't care for mustard on her brats, so I figured why not use one to help the other?[p]I cook mine a number of different ways as I'm still trying to perfect them. I like to cook them low and slow. The mustard taste is a little more pronounced that way though. My wife likes her hot dogs and brats kinda charred on the outside so I'm playing around with adding heat for the char either at the beginning or the end of the cook. I think I'm liking the low slow start finished by opening the doors and letting the barn catch fire, just as long as they don't cook too long and get dry or tough.[p]When done right these babys are fantastic, so juicy, flavorful. No need to put ANYTHING on them! However I'm a fan of spicy mustard, kraut and dill pickle spear myself so I can't limit my self to the naked brat, well unless your talking about the chef's TEST brat that has to be eaten before serving the others;).[p]Hope you try this (or similar) variation and let me know what you think.[p]Stuart

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    stuart, Great...don't be bashful about changing any recipe to taste. If you want to spice up or heat up your regular yellow, try a mix of jalepeno mustard in proportion to your heat levels..:-)
    Thanks for sharing..
    C~W[p]