Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fiddleheads

duckegg
duckegg Posts: 267
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fiddleheads.jpg
<p />Hey Fishlessman,[p]The Fiddlleheads are runnin in Central Mass!

Comments

• Duckegg,
    Thanks! I miss Fiddleheads sooooo much. Living in South Carolina and not a Fiddlehead to be found. The ferns in my shade garden are two feet high in the middle of the winter....or so it seems. Sauted with a bit of butter....salt and pepper....can't ask for anything better.....well, maybe another sweep this weekend of the Yankees! But, alas........2 out of three is still mighty fine.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    67922019.jpg
    <p />Duckegg,
    did you pick them or buy them, never seen them for sale in eastern mass and ive never gone looking for them. i need to find a patch somewhere. these were in maine last season, probably another 3 weeks away. nothin better. bet theres not many fern eaters on the forum.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • duckegg
    fishlessman,
    I picked them right out of my own backyard. Most convienient. We like them a lot but I guess they are not for everybody. If not cooked properly they can give you a great opportunity to catch up on your reading.[p]I have seen them in supermarkets in central in small expensive packages.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    fishlessman,
    we see them at shaw's, whole foods, farm stands.[p]short run though

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    duckegg,
    could you get me a closup pic of them in the ground, i want to find the right ones and it would be good to know what to look for. i get them at an agway for a couple bucks a pound, when they start popping up, 3 weeks and the seasons over til next year. planted some last year and havent seen any start to come up yet, they may not like the clay in my dirt. i would like to see what they look like before cleaning

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    stike,
    shaws has them? not in the meat or beer section, you family guys shop in different areas of the store, ill have to go look. theres some isles ive never been in, i do pass thru that isle on the way to the cheese, maybe i should stop and look around

fukahwee maine

• duckegg
    fishlessman,
    That potfull is uncleaned just as they were cut, cleaning them up is a pain, soak and rinse, soak and rinse. They should be blanched before cooking. It's a lot of work but they are tasty little dudes. I am told they freeze well. Will send pic. The clay shouldn't bother them too much. Mine grow 5-6ft. high in the same type of dirt.

• fishlessman,
    I've bought them at the Market Basket in Andover many years in the past. None there this weekend though.[p]Paul