Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Maintaining low and slow temps

edited 2:45AM in EggHead Forum
First timer with spare ribs on my new xl. Started with a slow, gradual start up to 225 and maintained for 3/4 hr. Put ribs on direct on invertted V rack and temp was steady for about 40min with top closed and damper open just a hair. Temp started rising to 275-280 and I closed the damper completely. It has now been on 310 for the past hr and I am at a loss. Does the XL have a different temp maintainance strategy Perhaps too much lump? Any thoughts would be appreciated
·

Comments

• Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Badger Smoke,
    The amount of lump should not matter. Any chance one of the ribs was touching the thermometer?
    At a loss right now as to why.[p]Mike

·
  • chucklschuckls Posts: 399
    Badger Smoke,
    There has to be O2 to keep the fire going - if the damper's closed, & the top's shut way down, the only way for air to get in is if you open the lid & 'peek' - thus my 2'nd rule for lo&slo - NO PEEKING![p]Chuck

·
  • Badger Smoke,
    Newby here too--i've got my 2nd pork butt on right now, 1st was outside temp + 40 degrees or so. Much more "throteling / restricting" of vents required at + 80 degrees.

·
  • Never peeked, until now as I pulled them off after 2 hrs half-chared. Could the felt seal be contibuting to an O2 rush? I was told by the BGE people that this was for cushioning the top when closing and not for an air-tight seal. There was very little smoke coming out, but it was there. Seal has never been damaged and never had issues with higher temps

·
  • chucklschuckls Posts: 399
    Badger Smoke,[p]I guess it could be the felt seal - usually they fit pretty good but the air gotta be coming in from somewhere.
    Otherwise, as you know getting the egg to cool down once it gets hot takes a while. I don't have any experience at all with the XL...[p]Chuck

·
  • egretegret Posts: 4,035
    Badger Smoke,
    Do you have the spring-assist mechanism installed? If so, you're probably getting significant air flow between gaskets in the hinge area. Solution : remove those two springs!

·
  • Badger Smoke,
    I have had my XL do the same, usually when I put a bunch of new lump in. I think that even with the vents all shut down to minimum, the fire still spreads slowly. Once the ceramics are fully warmed up on the egg, it does not take a lot of additional combustion to increase the dome temp. When I keep the lump level down to just above the breather holes, especially after its been burned, I don't seem to get that effect. I am a newb owner also, only about 40 cooks so far so I could just be blowing hot air :) Oh, almost forgot. I do have an air leak around the back edge. The old spring assist at work. That could be letting in enough fresh air to keep the fire spreading.

·