Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill topper woks

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wondering if anyone knows of a grill topper wok (the kind with holes in it) that can be used at high temps?? I have one that is square in shape, with sloped sides. It is coated with an enamel/porcelain looking coating, but they say not for high temps. I have used it many times at high temps (cuz the veggies taste so much better), but it is starting to flake and chip and I have stopped using it. Does anyone know of a stainless steel version, or one that is rated for higher temps???[p]Nothing beats cooking sweet onions, and other veggies, over charcoal. [p]I still plan on buying a chinese wok for egg-only use, but for stirfying, but not grilling. In addition I want a good perforated wok to use for high temp grilling.[p]Thanks for any ideas!
Happy Monday.
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Options
    BTW, this link is to the one that I have now.
    Looking for something similar, but able to withstand higher temps.
    Thanks again
    NB

[ul][li]My Current Wok[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Hay Bud..I found a Grilla Gear round more or less "pan" that I used for sausage and peppers..I got it at linens n things for about $15 it has a handle like a frying pan but it folds over so it fit very nicely in the egg, its coated non stick but I never saw a temp rating on it...I will see if I can find a pic somewhere on the web...[p]Wess

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    WessB,
    Now that didnt take very long...

[ul][li]grilla wok[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    WessB,
    That looks pretty cool. Would be interesting to find a temp rating, but I will probably torch that non-stick coating up in no time. I like to cook veggies over a real hot fire, and even the porcelain didn't hold up. Looks real handy for cooking/smoking with lower temps though.[p]Thanks for the link, and the idea.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I had been looking at this one recently.
    It's a Hoffritz Stainless Steel Grill wok at Amazon.com's
    outdoor living site.[p]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/glance/-/garden/B00004RHN9/qid=988840416/br=1-48/002-2319686-2912007

[ul][li]Hoffritz Stainless steel grill wok[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    EJ,
    Bingo. I am off to order in now.
    Thank you kindly.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Nature Boy,[p]I've used a grill top wok myself, and was never satisfied with it. Thanks to "NotJo" I learned about, and bought, a Weber hinged grill, the hinges allow you to drop in wood chips without lifting the grill out of Mr. Egg. After my first cook I put the original back in to store it ... and
    have never used the wok for grilling veggies again ... now I use the two grills on top of each other but with the grids criss-crossed. The veggies don't fall into the fire, and I have the whole grill surface to use as well.[p]mmmm grilled vidalia's must go eat,[p]Rotor[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Rotor,
    Sounds like that works. I like to cut the veggies up, and marinate them. Then dump into a super hot sizzling grill-wok, and stir every minute for a few minutes. I don't use smoking wood usually...mainly because the rest of the family doesn't like additional smoke.[p]Amazing how those grilled Vidalias taste like apples. Last time was green and yellow squash, vidalias, shrooms and pineapple marinated in mirin, oyster sauce, peanut oil and some rub.[p]Gettin hungry!
    Cheers to ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Rotor
    Rotor Posts: 53
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Yup, Rarely fire it up without throwing some veggies on. I sometimes will get creative with a marinade, but usually just use olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The two grill method works down to pretty small pieces of veggie, the very inner core of the onions sometimes fall through, but not if I'm a touch careful. And it's ideal for nice big portabello (sp?) mushrooms and long slices of zucchini.[p]Cheers,[p]Rotor[p]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    For stir frying on the BGE you might want to consider a Calphalon wok pan. they have a flat bottom and cook quite evenly over the hot lump.... JCA

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    My Home Depot just got them this week. In fact, they
    have o whole line of stainless steel grill accesories
    that look very nice.
    Chuck

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Funny you would raise this question today. I picked up a Stainless grill wok just today at lunchtime. I was driving past a new grill/fireplace store during it's grand opening and just had to check it out. To date I have gone through several of those porcelan coated woks which start chipping the very first time you use them.[p]The piece I picked up carries the "GrillPro" brand name and is the standard 12" X 12" size. It was $35 and hopefully the last one I'll have to buy. [p]K~G

• Nature Boy
    Options
    KennyG,
    Thinking alike here! Yeah, I ordered mine immediately after EJ's post. It is exactly what I am looking for. Would be nice if it was a bit larger, but the stainless will hopefully hold up to the turbo heat. I expect it will season up much like a wok. Lemme know how yours goes if you use it soon.[p]Also wondering if the one you got might be better? Thicker? This one was only 13 bucks +6 shipping. Maybe EJ did some good research. Maybe you got a heavy duty model?[p]Cheers to ya. Come on out anytime.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Palisin
    Palisin Posts: 64
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    If you have an oriental grocery near you, you may be able to find what you are looking for. They make them with 1/4 inch holes and they nest inside a regular wok niceley for storage and deep frying. The other thing is all of the other exotic spices nad ingredients you can find. I highley recommend these stores for cheap asian(inexpensive) goods.

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    As I was cleaning my wok last night, a solution to your problem became evident. Scrub the no-stick coating off of your current perf-wok and use anyways. I have two woks. One is a cheap non-stick version that I have had for over ten years. The other is a heavier more expensive type. I always use the cheap one. The cheap no-stick coating is long gone and what is left is a beautiful black like cast iron. [p]Stick with what you have, just take off the coating.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Nature Boy
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Just saw your post. That porcelain would be really tough to remove totally. I can't imagine how I would do it without a whole bunch of effort, or a sand blaster! Hopefully my problem is solved with my soon-to-arrive stainless topper wok. I'll keep my old one in case I feel adventurous some rainy day.[p]Thanks pal!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    palisin,
    I have been looking, as we visit out local asian markets weekly. I agree with you, they are a must for unique and inexpensive ingredients.[p]I need to head down to Arlington...the heart of Asian markets in our area, and see if they have what you mention....and another wok.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com