Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh My Gosh, I Bought Squid. What Now?

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Nature Boy, I can hardly believe it. I purchased Squid. [p]Insert Bait Jokes Here…[p]This came about because I also purchased a nice Porterhouse steak. Well, I figured that I would get some shrimp to go along with it, no problem. I then saw a little try of white and purple stuff. I promptly ordered just one of those white things minus the tentacles. I think that it cost me a quarter.[p]So my question is, what in the heck do I do with it now?[p]The steak and shrimp are going to get egged at high temperature tomorrow, so I hope that you read this by then.[p]Happy Fishing,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    RhumAndJerk,[p]You can always go fishing :~)

• RhumAndJerk
    Bob,
    I, of all people, had that coming.
    RhumAndJerk

• RhumAndJerk
    Chris,
    I am fresh out of Hosin Sauce. The last time that I tried to open the jar, the top came off with lid. I am lucky that I did not cut myself.[p]Next suggestion,
    RhumAndJerk

• RhumAndJerk,[p]Here's a recipe for you. I'm cutting and pasting so hopefully it will be legible.[p] HOT & SPICY THAI SQUID SKEWERS[p]> > 2 lbs. squid
    > > 1 tsp. minced garlic
    > > 1 tsp. minced ginger
    > > 3 tblsp. minced cilantro
    > > 1/4 cup peanut oil
    > > Hot chile oil, to tatse
    > > Sesame oil, to taste
    > > Dark soy sauce, to taste
    > > 8 wooden skewers, presoaked in water
    > > 1/2 cup Thai Dipping Sauce (recipe to follow)
    > > Oil, for grill
    > >
    > > 1. Clean squid thoroughly, cutting bodies into 3/4 in strips. Pat dry.
    > >
    > > 2. Prepare marinade by mixing garlic, ginger, cilantro, peanut oil, hot chile oil, sesame oil, and dark soy sauce.
    > >
    > > 3. Place squid in marinade for at least 1 hour at room temp or 3-4 hrs in the refrigerator.
    > >
    > > 4. Prepare for Egg for high heat cooking. When fire is ready, skewer squid and place on oiled grill over a very hot fire until lightly browned (about 1 minute per side). Serve immediately with Thai Dipping sauce.
    > >
    > > THAI DIPPING SAUCE (makes 1 cup)
    > >
    > > 2/3 cup sugar
    > > 1/2 cup distilled vinegar
    > > 2 tsp. salt
    > > 2 tblsp. minced garlic
    > > 1 red bell pepper
    > >
    > > In a small saucepan combine sugar, vinegar, salt and garlic. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until thick (about 5 min.) Finely grate red pepper and add to sauce for color right before serving.[p]Later,
    Jobu

• RhumAndJerk, okay I'm stepping into Guru's territory here but,, slice that squid across in very fine ringlets.(the thinner the better) Soak it in an egg, salt, and (whatever your favorite) seasoning (is). Mix some flour and seasonings dry (the more imagination you use here, the better) in a ziploc bag. Drain the squid ringlets by hand and drop them in the flour. Shake them around and sift them out by hand and drop them in hot(400 degrees) grease. When they float and dance around on the surface of the hot grease,, dredge them out and lay them on a plate of paper towels. The taste of squid prepared this way will make a hound-dog hug a hound. But,, if you are grilling them,,, forget this recipe and forget you ever heard from me. :^)

• RhumAndJerk
    Jobu,
    Cool, I can do that and I love Thai as well.
    I may just use some of my Thai curry paste (I posted it), since I am out of Cilantro and I only purchased one squid.[p]Thank you for the idea,
    RhumAndJerk

• RhumAndJerk
    King-O-Coals,
    We ate lunch ate an upscale Italian restaurant yesterday. We ordered Calamari as an appetizer and they were cooked perfectly in the manner that you described. They melted in my mouth, I did not even have to chew them.[p]Thank you, I will print out the recipe for the next time that I buy squid. However, this squid is going egging at high temperatures.[p]Happy Baiting,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk, the Oriental or far-East taste for such fare is hard to match,, but be careful,, squid is pretty tough. Michelin is trying to develope a high-speed radial belt from cross sectional slice from a giant squid. If you can get a desired flavor into the beast,, it will be good if you can chew it. Frying usually accomplishes chewability. Good luck, and may the force be with you...

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    RhumAndJerk,
    Looking foward to your review, squid is great. Why not the tenicales, is that just a personal choice or for grilling reason's, they are my favorite.
    Mark

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    RhumAndJerk,
    Sorry, not sure how your post slipped past my nose, but I missed it! Thrill of the grill has a great recipe that I posted on SongDogs. Rub bodies in sesame oil and salt/pepper. Sear bodies high temp a minute a side, then brush on sauce (hoisin, ketchup or whatever you want) for another minute.[p]Then cut into rings and serve.[p]The tenticles get the same seasoning treatment, but I cook them in my grill-topper wok for a couple minutes, stirring until brown. They are yummy.[p]Hope I am not too late with my reply. Jobu's suggestion sounds great! I think I will try that next.[p]Keep us posted. Squid is a hot topic![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    Only one squid?? Is it one of those giant versions??
    The ones I normally do have 4-6 inch bodies. They are super tender after their high temp journey. Please keep us posted on the results, and if you have one of those monster squid![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    Nature Boy,
    You are not too late, I have been waiting for your post. [p]I think that I am going to stick with Jobu suggestion and make the Thai style somehow. I only purchased one squid, because if I go wrong, I do not want to waste food. Also, I am the only one who is going to eat it. If it works out, then I may make more in the future for the right company. [p]I also have a third of a pound of beautiful tiger shrimp. The wife has a very nice Porterhouse steak that I will steal some bites out of.[p]I am off to cook it up now. [p]Thank you for the input,
    RhumAndJerk

• Nature Boy
    RhumAndJerk,
    How big is the lone squid??
    Look forward to seeing your results. The hotter, the better.[p]
    Ooooh. And shrimp and steak too.
    Enjoy!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com