Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcoked Chicken

Options
Revolution
Revolution Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing a Spatchcocked Chicken tonight following The Naked Whiz's instructions (which are great by the way). Removing the back was simple.[p]I am going to used a raised grid per the instructions, but do I need to use a drip pan?[p]-Charlie

Comments

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239
    Options
    Revolution,
    I have found it best, just to catch fat drippings and keep them from burning and making bad tasting smoke.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Revolution,
    a drip pan means you are going indirect, essentially. [p]it will still cook quicker than roasting the whole bird, but you won't be direct. i like the extra crispiness i get from going direct

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Rusty Rooster, what temp are you cooking at, so the drippings don't burn in the heated pan. Tom

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    tjv,
    I put it on a raised grid @350 dome with the drip pan on the regular grid. This way I have not been getting a flame from the drippings but as someone stated below, I do not get a real crispy skin either. Next time it is my intention to put some sand in the drip pan to see if that helps.

• Revolution,[p]It's all up to personal preference; I do mine on a raised grid, 325 degee dome, direct. Keep an eye on it, turn it a few times and you'll have a nice, non burned crispy skin.[p]Good eggin'
    -paul

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Rusty Rooster, not sure how sand is going to help crisp the skin? To crisp the skin, you need to render the fat in the skin which means dripping liquids. I'd think the fat will contact the 350 degree or higher sand and still burn off...[p]I've been playing with cooking them really high in the dome, direct, with a 375 or higher temp. Not sure how you stop the drippings from burning off. [p]I am going to try a couple birds at a much lower temp, longer cook and see what happens....T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Rusty Rooster
    Options
    tjv,
    Not to help crisp, but to help prevent the drippings from burning and creating acrid smoke.

• Mayberry Smoker
    Options
    Revolution,
    I've cooked them a couple of times between 380 - 400, raised grate up high in the dome, with just tin foil covering the platesetter. They turn out very moist and the skin is somewhat crisp. It's funny you should post this question now, because I'm doing 2 chickens tonight and I got me a drip pan now so I'm going to try that instead of the tinfoil. Good luck.

• Revolution
    Revolution Posts: 130
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I will go with the raised grid at about 350 with no drip pan. [p]I will let you know how it turns out.[p]-Charlie
  • Revolution,[p]I am surprised that Removing the back was simple for you because it is such a pain for me.[p]I just split it down the other (fromt/breast) side, much easier for me, and I do not notice any difference in the outcome.

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Revolution,[p]I do NOT use a drip pan. I do however, elevate the cooking grate with another grate below. That way if one section of the chicken is is cooking or coloring too fast then I can place a piece of foil on the lower grate.

• KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Options
    Patrick In Ga,[p]I use heavy kitchen shears to cut out the backbone. It easily cuts through the ribs on either side. I think it would be a lot harder with a knife.