Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's WOOOOOOOOOSSSSSDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smoking Jacket
Smoking Jacket Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This was my first boston butt cook...the egg is a magic machine![p]145679797-L.jpg

145681013-L.jpg

145681291-L.jpg

145681998-L.jpg[p]

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Smoking Jacket,[p]2nd place 2007 Cookies Cookoff Classic - Pork Loin [p]porkloin.jpg[p]2nd place 2007 Cookies Cookoff Classic - Sausage (fatties)[p]fatties.jpg[p]ribs.jpg[p]brisket.jpg
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    dsc02073aLL.jpg
    <p />Smoking Jacket,[p]Two days this week was basically playtime with drumsticks and salmon. I barbecued 24 drumsticks and smoke-cooked 4 pounds of salmon. The primary objective was to make a series of secondary meals from both of them. My two favorites were a chicken pot pie and salmon cakes.[p]dsc02017aL.jpg[p]HAPPY.gifWoosDay.gif
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • dsc02687oo1.jpg
    <p />happy Woooosday everyone!

• Blind Pig
    Blind Pig Posts: 12
    Smoking Jacket,[p]Some pics from pork in the park competition.
    I didn't do well with these entries - but remember.....
    "Eggs don't kill meat, people do!"[p]
    P4200011.jpg[p]P4200012.jpg[p]photo_10.jpg

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    thirdeye,
    that chicken pie is amazing.[p]the hands-down best improvement on a meal was the time we used leftover chicken (from the egg) for chicken pot pie. also baked on the egg ...the difference between that and good-ol-regular chix pot pie was astounding.[p]thanks for the pic[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Smoking Jacket,[p]Went to Whole Foods on Sunday. Luckily it's a long drive from my home so I don't get there too often - it's known as "Whole Paycheck" for a reason. $105 later I came home with some pretty good eatin'. [p]Sunday was Dungeness Crab Cakes cooked in an iron skillet with some pecan smoke.
    BGE016.jpg[p]Last night it was "Lambsicles" cooked the Dizzy Pig way - marinated in EVOO and Dales; coated with DP Red Eye Express, seared for two minutes at 650; roasted at 400 for 10 minutes. Without a doubt the best lamb I've ever eaten and the family agreed.
    BGE017.jpg
    Happy Woosday,
    Roudy

• Blind Pig,
    here are our turn-ins from salisbury...finished pretty much in the top 20th percentile in everything, but no calls. ..oh well, it was a great comp. . .great weather... [p]salisbury404.jpg[p]salisbury406.jpg[p]salisbury405.jpg[p]salisbury408.jpg

• Smoking Jacket,[p]A few seared and resting ribeyes.[p]SearedandResting.jpg[p]Blackened scallops and shrimp[p]ScallopsandShrimp.jpg[p]All together with some salad and cajun boiled potatoes with sour cream and homemade cornbread[p]SurfandTurf.jpg[p]Happy Woooooooooossssssday!!!!!!!![p]Mike
  • thirdeye
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Those all look pretty good, you must have had some fierce competition. You didn't steal one of the judges parking spots did you?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,[p]judging was tight thats for sure. ...lots of folks i never heard of got calls, which is great. ..our best finish i think was 14th for the chicken... our worst was around 30th for, i think, the brisket.. . we finished 14th overall out of 60 teams, which in the big picture ain't too shabby. . .the presentations got mainly 7s and 8s. .one or two 9s and one or two 6s. .. .[p]i think we might have gotten the french figure skating judge. ...

• P1010037.jpg?t=1177422976
    <p />Smoking Jacket,[p]This is brisket from last weekend![p]Smokey One
  • mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Those look good. How were your scores? Did you see the new feedback cards?[p]Smokey One
  • Golfnut
    Golfnut Posts: 144
    Smoking Jacket,
    We had some good eats last week. First pizza...
    IMG_1210.jpg
    IMG_1214.jpg[p]Then we had some slab ribs, yummy!
    IMG_1218.jpg
    Hey what happened to the missing piece on the smaller end...:-)[p]IMG_1220.jpg[p]Plus we added a small to our collection last week. Only downside is the table sure is alot harder to move around.
    IMG_1222.jpg

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Ref1515,
    Beautiful! I see that LSU mug... Does that mean you're an LSU transplant to Texas? Does it also mean that you brought along all those great Louisiana Cooking Skills with you?[p]Spring Hen and I are also former LSU Students back in an earlier life, so bring yourself on down to the Texas Eggfest and look us up.[p]Spring "Read'n Writ'n & Cipher'n Major" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Smokey One,
    i don't think they did the survey cards at this one. . .as i said, we got mostly 7s and 8s all across the board for appearance, taste and tenderness. .. we thought we had some really good stuff, but apparently not good enough to crack the top echelon this time. .. .in our post comp analysis we (me and brett and hillard) talked about what we might do differently next time, and while we are naturaly born 'tinkerers' we really felt like we wouldn't do anything different. ...we were really happy with all of our stuff. ..

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    KayakFoxourgardenflowers7_22_06033.jpg
    <p />Smoking Jacket,
    Nice job!
    Traffic has been picking up in the Fox River Valley, sometimes we get a backup before the gates open and we are flushed down stream. Spring has sprung and the water is high.
    Clay (somewhere in the jam)

• Smoking Jacket,[p]Birthday Steaks:[p]IMG_0945.jpg[p]
  • Spring Chicken,[p]I wish I could say I was an LSU alum but I am not. My brother-in-law is from Covington and over the last 20 years he has turned me into a rabid LSU fan. We go down to 1 or 2 football games a year at Tiger Stadium. What a place and atmosphere. It has found a place in my heart. I guess since my alum (Texas Wesleyan University) did not have a football team I can claim allegiance anywhere. If you walked into my house, you would think I went to LSU with the memorabilla I have. We are going to the Florida game this year and maybe Auburn as well.[p]I wish I could go to the Eggfest this week but I have Jimmy Buffet tickets for Saturday night and I promised my wife. I will certainly try to make the Texas and Oklahoma Eggfests next year.[p]GEAUX TIGERS!!!!![p]
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    abQstract.jpg
    <p />Smoking Jacket,[p]Just an ab-Que-stract image. A slab of spares, close up, just about ready for foiling.[p]gdenby

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    100_1375.jpg
    <p />Smoking Jacket,
    been a week of pizzas for me, been changing the setup, up/down over stones, gap between stones and getting closer to what i want, but still not quite there. getting good at throwing dough in the air. going to try the 700 degree cook again tonight. this is where i started out last week with a thin crust, hope to have everything down where i want thin crusts to be by next week. then maybe ill get on a greek pan pizza kick for a while.
    100_1379.jpg
    this setup is all wrong for high temp pizzas, high in the dome has been better with no airspace between the stone and bricks

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Some Oklahoma fest pics[p]Cooked next to Piglet and her crew. These are some tasty beef riblets made by a piglet :>)
    Koreanribspigletstyle.jpg[p]Gotta raze CarwashMike a bit......just what is he doing here?
    whatishedoing.jpg[p]I thought this picture was funny, mike showing the ribs some BluesHog love and I'm......I don't know what I'm doing....looks like I'm telling that slab to come to pappa.
    cometopappa.jpg[p]Besides Mike being Mike and havings some great help as we all did I think I know the secret to his win. If I get called up again in the future I'll wear my glasses in the proper victory fashion.
    Ididntwearmyglassesright.jpg

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Blind Pig,[p]I was good to see you again and hang out for a bit. I would definately eat your food...nice job. See you at the next one.[p]Chuck
  • Blind Pig
    Blind Pig Posts: 12
    Chuck,[p]
    Thanks - good to see you too.
    Do they still have that fest in Medford (where I bought my egg from Ed) each year? E-mail me and let me know if they do.[p] I'll redeem myself at the BBQ on the farm competition in May.[p]--Tom

• SouthOfI10
    SouthOfI10 Posts: 213
    ClayQ,
    Fox River Valley as in Neenah/Appleton? If so, I travel that way ever so often. Didn't know there were many Eggers up that way.

• eggaholic
    eggaholic Posts: 309
    Lizards-1.jpg
    <p />Smoking Jacket,
    No cookin but been workin hard on trying to get something to cook.

• AZ Traveler
    AZ Traveler Posts: 664
    thirdeye,
    Great stuff. Hope you post both of those cooks on your site. Enjoy, John

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    dhuffjr,
    #1. I was taking my "choke" collar off, because that is what I thought I did.[p]#2. I beleive that was the second batch going on to finish. You didn't have any yet, so I guess the wheels were turing to make sure you got a couple.[p]#3. I have no idea, other than I hate taking and putting reading glasses on and off.[p]What a great time. I'm still trying to get caught back up. Hope to cook in a couple days. Your chicken was fantastic and I can have a little rice with it. Sub Splenda and I'm good.[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    AZ Traveler ,[p]Both of those were something that if it is written down, you never really follow it that closely.[p]For the cakes, I used about 3 pounds of the salmon that I egged at 300° indirect with alder and apple wood. It was seasoned with Tsunami Spin. I pulled it off about 130°. It had not started to flake on it's own yet and was still very moist. I flaked it (and left it coarse) and let it cool. To it I added the following:[p]1 carrot, grated
    2 stalks celery, fine chopped
    1/2 sweet onion, chopped
    4 green onions & tops, chopped
    2 handfuls of panko
    1 cup of mayonnaise + a little more
    Tsunami, sea salt and pepper to taste[p]This was blended and refrigerated overnight. The patties were about 1/4 cup sized. After forming they were dusted in a seasoned cornmeal based fish fry and lightly pan fried until golden. Everything is already cooked so you only need to get the outside crisp. Once they are done they are still pretty delicate, like a crab cake. (BTW, I make salmon spread using less mayo, NO panko and about the same ingredients).[p]dsc02059aL.jpg[p]dsc02061aL.jpg[p]DSC02065a.jpg[p]dsc02073aLL.jpg[p]
    The pot pie was the standard filling (potatoes, carrots, peas & mushrooms) only with barbecued chicken. I'm not much of a baker so The Pillsbury Dough Boy helped me out with the crust.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I thought the brisket looked better than the rest. They all looked good but the brisket caught my eye.[p]Mike