Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Remote Thermometer

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody know where to get one of those remote thermometers in Atlanta GA, other that costco? I belong to Sam's Club and they don't have them. [p]Is a polder the thermometer that hang out of the grill? Anything special to look for in a polder?[p]How about good pork butts? I'm new (obviously) and don't know where to get stuff. Is the pork 'picnic' the same as the pork 'butt'?[p]Thanks,
Kurt

Comments

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Kurt,
    Here is a place to buy your Polder.
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com
    The price is $19.95
    Fireball[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Fireball,[p]I went to http://www.kingarthurflour.com/cgibin/htmlos/06270.6.52538727957370941558[p]Is that it? Will that guy withstand the heat of the inferno?[p]I really appreciate the advice. [p]Kurt[p]
  • Fireball
    Options
    Kurt,
    Yes that is it. It is great up to a temperature of about 400 degrees. Protect the wire from the probe to the unit by wrappin it in aluminum foil. Do not use it above 400 or you may kill it off. Above 400 use an instant read digital. I hope this helps.
    Fireball

• Unknown
    Options
    Fireball,
    Another question, the instant read digital... is that one that you stick in the meat and hold it until you see the temp. Just a small spear with a thermometer stuck to the end? How do you do that at over 400 degrees? Do you remove the meat from the grill first? [p]By the way, I haven't got my grill yet but should get in this week. I'm trying to prepare myself to cook to 8 lb pork butts and am finding out that there is an awfull loot I need to learn. I've never done much on a grill other that than quick steaks/burgers/chicken etc. Never low and slow.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    polder.jpg
    <p />Kurt,[p]Yes, the instant reads are digital and get a reading in 10-20 seconds. One that has a "high temp" memory is very nice because you can poke it - wait 15-20 sec and close it up and then read the thermometers memory. Having both types is almost a must have....[p]Tim
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Kurt,[p]""How about good pork butts? I'm new (obviously) and don't know where to get stuff. Is the pork 'picnic' the same
    as the pork 'butt'?
    ""[p]Nope, but they are close. The shoulder is made up of two parts - the picnic and the butt or sometimes called a blade roast or butt roast, etc. The most commonly used one is the butt but a picnic will be very very close and some may even prefer it. I can't hardly tell a difference.[p]Tim

• Fireball
    Options
    Kurt,
    Tim M answered your instant read question. I like Boston Butts better than Picnics. They are really easy to do and the pulled pork is great. Low and slows are the best cooks in my opinion. Go out a get a second cooking grid.( I have a cheap grid made by Weber that fits on the fire ring of the BGE) You use it to sit the fire bricks on for the indirect method of the low and slows. If you are getting a large egg you should buy five "splits", splits are fire bricks that are 9 inches long by 4 1/2 inches wide and 1 1/4 inches thick. If you are getting a medium egg like I have, 4 splits are all you need for the indirect set up. I hope this helps. Any other questions please ask them. Welcome to the BGE family. Or is it a cult? After all you will find that one egg isn't enough. I used my three to cook dinner today.
    Fireball

• Unknown
    Options
    Tim M,

Thanks a lot for the picture, Now that I can understand.[p]Kurt