Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet

Options
Revolution
Revolution Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone with instructions on cooking a Filet of Beef?[p]-Charlie

Comments

• Revolution,
    A whole tenderloin or a filet cut?

• Revolution
    Options
    Hank,
    It's a cut. I am alone tonight.[p]-Charlie

• UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    Revolution,[p]T-Rex? Nuclear for a minute a side and let rest for 20 minutes. While resting, reduce egg temp to about 400. After rest, return to egg till desired degree of doneness.
  • Jason
    Jason Posts: 45
    Options
    UnConundrum,[p]Why do you take the steak out to rest for 20 minutes after searing? I like my steaks med well to well, can you give me approx times to get this level of doneness? My first attempt at steaks on my lg egg I think I dried them out when I kept opening the egg to check to see if they were done. I seared them at 650 degrees for 2 minutes and then shut down the egg leaving the steaks in the egg. The steaks were between 1" and 1 1/2". Thanks in advance.
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    Jason ,
    Unfortunately, I have very little experience in the med-well to well range. Also, I ALWAYS cook by temperature. To me, a steak is done at the 129F area. You're probably looking at 145 or so. [p]The reason you take it out is to let the muscle relax. During that first sear the meat will "tense up" for lack of a better description. The rest allows the moisture in the steak to redistribute as well. [p]To my tastes, 650 for two minutes, and then leaving the steaks in that hot egg till done, is way extreme. [p]You have to remember that a filet is a "dry" cut of beef to start with. IOW, it doesn't have much fat. When you expose it to those high temps, it's going to dry out. Just the nature of the beast. Try the minute per side at 650, let it rest, and finish at 400 till it reaches the internal temperature you like.

• Revolution
    Options
    UnConundrum,[p]Here is what I did. I put the Beef Fillet (about 1 and 3/4 inch on at 600 for 4 minutes, then turned for another 4 minutes, and then let rest on the grid with the dampers closed for about 5 minutes. It was medium, just the way I like them.[p]-Charlie