Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak

Options
Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I hope this isn't too dumb of a question, but what is the reason everyone lets the steak "set" for 5 or 10 minutes after it is cooked. I dig right in before the steak oozes it's juice onto the plate.[p]Carl T

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Carl T,[p]Never heard anyone say you should let a steak rest - maybe a turkey or large hunk of meat. Maybe you are confusing "dwelling" with resting. Many people like to cook a steak 3-5 min per side and dwell (all vents and top closed up). It snuffs the fire but allows the steak to keep cooking but at lower, nonsearing, temps until the proper doneness is reached, and its a good time to add chips for a more smokey taste. [p]I like to sear mine until done, and I keep flipping every 2-4 min until done after maybe 5 min per side. I cook 1.5-2" filets mignons almost exclusively and they can take more heat than many ohter cuts (thicker makes it easier too). My total cook might be 10-14 min to get to med/med well inside and well seared outside.[p]Tim
  • Turkey
    Turkey Posts: 38
    Options
    Carl T,[p]You want to let the meat rest for about 5min to allow all the juices to go back into the meat. If you let it rest all those juices you speak of will not run all over you plate but stay in each an every savory bite. Try it, you'll see.[p]Now I'm hungry. Time to make that Jerk Chicken.[p]Mark
  • Carolina Pirate
    Options
    Carl T,
    Let it rest. Whatever you are cookig will continue to cook after it has been removed from the heat. Higher temperature on the outer part of the steak will transfer toward the center. The water holding capacity of the tissue increases as the temperature evens out and begins to drop.[p]Ref. On Food and Cooking; Harold Mcgee