Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Well, I did it. I'm a new egg owner.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, thanks to everybody who replied to my questions about
what to get. I appreciate the help and advice.[p]Unfortunately, due to inclement weather and a rather nasty
flu that ran through the family, inaugration has been put off until
tonight. I didn't think that eating good grill in front of the
rest of the family would be polite, and I didn't want to break
in the BGE with jello.[p]I've got a nice set of strip steaks that I figure I'll grill using
the 3-3-8 method. Most of the family likes their beef on the well
done side, so I plan on letting things dwell a little longer. Any
reason to cut back the sear or is 3-3-(10 to 12) ok?[p][p]

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    Kevin Nolish,[p]I like mine a little pink, but if you want it done through I don't think your times are excessive. I assume your pre-dwell temp will be in the 750º range.[p]Enjoy, hope the flu passes soon, but not in this direction.[p]Jethro
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Kevin Nolish,
    Welcome. Now, you will begin to enjoy life as we have all learned to do![p]Carey

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Kevin Nolish,[p]Personally, I find that there are so many variables when doing steaks that it is hard to be too accurate. 3-3-8 might actually turn out to be 3-4-9 or some other combo when you do it and if you don't get the fire as hot as last time, it might be 4-4-11 or something. You have to sort-of feel your way thru it. Use the times as guides - not the law - and adjust as needed. I strongly suggest a quick reading digital thermometer to check for doneness.[p]Tim
  • Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Kevin Nolish,
    Welcome to the family. I would use an instant read to check for doneness. 8 min. dwell sounds a little long to me. I did 1" strips last night at 750* for 3/3/3 and they were medium to medium rare.
    B D

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Tim M,
    I agree with you Tim. You know a lot more after the first flip. 700 dome temp only means so much. Certain parts of the grate are much hotter than others. You can see this if you spray pam on, and wait a minute, then look and see where it has evaporated from. That is your hot spot. If you are not cooking there, it is a whole different world, and results will vary,.[p]Cheers to ya. The quick internal temp check can't hurt either. That way you are not stopping in the middle of dinner to go cook a steak a bit more because it is too red for the eater.[p]Good post. Beers to ya.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    I was wondering if I was the only person who likes my steak less than well done. I'm more of the rare to medium rare...warm center and nice and red.!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Nature Boy, I hope you take the grill out before spraying if you have a super hot fire going..ooooooh boy. I can see it now.
    C~W

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Fire. hehehe. Cool.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Heee, don't tell him how you clean the grill... wow, has the hair hasn't grown back on that spot yet?[p]Sorry `bout tomorrow. Lemme know if changes occur[p]Tim