Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Corn on the Cobb

Options
JM
JM Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need help with corn on the cobb on the BGE. Any suggestions would be helpful. Temp to cook, how long,should husks be pulled... Thanks.

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    JM, [p]I shuck it, brush with melted butter & season with salt, pepper and, sometimes, some Cajun seasoning. Grill direct & turn occasionally at least 8 minutes until kernals brown & start to pop. Yum! [p]I'm sure that you will get some other good ideas as well... JCA

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    J Appledog,
    What temperature do you cook those ears at?
    B D

• Janet
    Janet Posts: 102
    Options
    JM,
    I'm in the experimental mode of egg cookery and a couple of days ago did some corn that turned out pretty good. I shucked the corn, broke each ear in half, tossed the ears with a mixture of olive oil, onion and herb seasoning, and a tad of salt. Heated the egg to 300F and put them on direct. Since it was experimental, I opened the lid more often than I should have. I probably ended up cooking the ears for a total of 8-10 minutes at 300F, turning once. I thought they tasted great - and healthier than my usual after-cooking habit of dousing them in loads of butter and salt. And better yet, they were great leftover -wrapped in waxed paper and microwaved for a minute.[p]Am looking forward to other ideas![p]Janet (another JM)

• alternity
    alternity Posts: 49
    Options
    Janet,
    I took a few ears and wraped them in tinfoil and threw them directly on the coals for about a half hour , and boy were they good. No seasonings just the wood flavor from teh lump coal. [p] enjoy!

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    JM,
    Wow! Reading the times y'all are cooking the corn at almost makes me wonder if I'm doing it right. But, the taste buds tell me I'm doing fine. Here's what I do: I peel back the outer husks, but leave on; I strip off the silk; then I coat with butter(margarine), salt and pepper; then pull the husks back up. I've typically been putting the corn on mid way thru a cook. Today I was doing whole chickens(3) and layed 6 ears of corn on for a little over an hour. Temp was at 300*.
    Came out very tender and not burned at all!
    Was hoping to have some leftover to make roasted corn grits with but that didn't happen.

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    JM, you've gotten good advice so far, but I will give you one more way to do corn to add to the confusion. :)
    I soak the ears in cold water for 30-60 minutes with the husks on. Then kinda peel the husks open to help in ripping out the silk and then reclosing the husks and kinda twisting them if it helps to keep them around the cob. (to help protect the kernels from the heat)
    Place these on your grill at a medium temp? (probably around 300?) and cook them direct while turning them every 10 minutes or so. When you have blackened the husks all around, they will be perfect! They will looked burnt because of the husk but they will be steamed perfectly, with no burned (or very little) kernels. Just add butter and salt and you're done.
    Very simple method, but works great.
    later,
    ChefRD

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Shelby,
    I'd love to see a picture of that setup. How did you manage to get three chickens and the corn onto the same egg? Were you using vertical roasters or cut chicken?

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    JM:[p]The following are a few comments regarding grilled corn by Steve Raichlin (he has several good grilling books) in a recent "Q" article. He prefers his corn grilled instead of steamed. Obviously, the use of the husk as a handle will have to be eliminated.[p]The Perfect Ear of Corn [p]A great deal has been written about the best way to grill corn: Soak it in water first, some say, wrap it in foil, or grill it right in the husk. But for my money, nothing brings out corn's natural sweetness like exposing the kernels to live fire. If you don't believe me, try this: Build a hot fire in your grill. Shuck each ear of corn, stripping the husk back from the top, just like you'd peel a banana. Leave the husk attached at the bottom. Fold the husks all the way back and tie them with string to form a handle. Brush each ear with melted butter and season with salt and pepper. Place the ears directly over the fire-position them so the husks are away from the flames-and grill until the kernels start to crackle and brown, two to three minutes per side, eight to twelve minutes in all, turning as needed and basting with butter as they cook. (Place foil underneath the husks if they start to burn.) And if this isn't the best corn you've ever tasted, I'll gladly take your leftovers. -Steven Raichlin