Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NB's Country-Style Rib Recipe

Janet
Janet Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just finished eating the results of a country-style rib cook via Nature Boy's "Vietnature Country Style Ribs" recipe. I do alot of Southeast Asian cooking and these were absolutely perfect. So thanks to NB and thanks to this forum!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Thank you Janet,
    Glad you liked it! I will cook those for the Eggtoberfest this year. It has always been one of my favorite recipes, but for some reason I have always cooked something more conservative at the fests. My wife and her family are Vietnamese, and that recipe is fairly authentic. I have only heard from one or two other people who have tried it since I posted it over a year ago. And I really appreciate you posting your feedback...especially that kind! [p]I agree with you too. This forum is incredible.
    Best of weekends to you!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Janet
    Nature Boy,
    A little off-topic ---
    My husband asks if your family has a recipe for
    Goi Ga (I hope the spelling is at least somewhat accurate). We used to eat at a great Vietnamese restaurant in Annandale, Va. (at least 15 years ago-probably no longer there) and we loved the salad. Have been unable to duplicate it.
    My advice - come up with more asian-style recipes for the egg!!![p]Janet[p]

• Nature Boy
    Janet,
    Is that the shredded green papaya salad that is served with thin strips of thin oriental beef jerky?? [p]Though Ga means chicken. I'll ask Lan when she gets up. Maybe I can get a recipe from her, her mom, or one of her many sisters.[p]Thanks again for the fine report on the country ribs!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Turkey
    Turkey Posts: 38
    Nature Boy,[p]I'll be making them soon so you'll have some additional feedback. Anything to help you out![p]I didn't get to cook my Jerk Chicken yesterday as we had several thunderstorms all day. Under Tornado warnings most of the afternoon and a house down the street got struck by lightning. I know the BGE could have pulled through and done its work but I was quite honestly afraid to go outside.[p]Now I'm afraid to cook this chicken. Its been marinading in my HABENERO jerk marinade for 24hours. I'm not gonna be able to feel my mouth after this. Better go get more beer![p]Mark
  • Janet
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks in advance for checking. The salad I had contained chicken/cabbage/grated carrot/ground peanut/ginger/fresh coriander. It tasted as though it was tossed in a rice vinegar/fish sauce dressing with something fiery. My mouth is watering just writing this![p]Janet

• Nature Boy
    Turkey,
    Glad you will try it. It has a lot of flavor, so be prepared!
    I have been experimenting wth cuting the fresh lemongrass more coarsely. It seems doing it in the blender, like the recipe states, releases the most flavor, but kind of ends up looking like paper pulp on the meat. not a big issue, but I kind of like it chopped instead of blended. [p]Anyway, enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions.
    Hope the bad weather has passed. Enjoy setting your tastebuds on fire with the jerk chicken.
    cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Janet,
    Yeah, we eat a similar dish. I'll see what I can find out.[p]I still have not acquired the taste for fresh cilantro. My taste buds say "soap". But I have been working on it or 15 years now. I love all the fresh mint leaves, and cinnamon basil, and all the fresh veggies though. I am spoiled with all of the ethnic restaurants in the Arlington/Falls Church area. And with my wife's family of cooks. We get together every few weeks, and the ladies cook all day while the guys drink beer. Nice concept. Always a huge production for dinner. Vietnamese food is my second favorite cuisine. First is MEAT.[p]Best of weekends to ya. I'll email you if I can find out some details on the Goi Ga.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy, I liked the sound of that receipe too. My brain usually locks up whenever it see ingredients that we don't have in house. I'm trying to overcome that. I want to try those ribs since I have had chinese spareribs that were excellent. Lets hope I get past the new ingredient phobia.

• Nature Boy
    shiek,
    A visit to your Asian market is one of the best things you can do for your spice/sauce pantry! The ingredients are fun to play with, and with a few additions to your cabinet you will simply have more weapons to create killer food.[p]Turkey emailed and asked for a list of ingredients to have on hand. Here is my reply if you are interested:[p]- Maggi Seasoning (it is kind of like soy sauce, but very nice roasted flavor)
    - Sesame Oil
    - Sriracha Chili Sauce (in a squeeze bottle...this is a must)
    - Rice Vinegar
    - Hoisin Sauce
    - Oyster Sauce (read the label. We avoid ones with MSG.)
    - Fish Sauce (Vietnames or Thai is best)
    - Chinese Five Spice Powder (Nice to have...very unique flavor...but strong. Use VERY little)
    - Sesame seeds
    - Fresh lemongrass (can be frozen, but fresh is best. Dried lemongrass has very little flavor)
    - Chinese bean sauce is interesting if you like fermented beans!
    - Star Anise [p]Also take a look through all of the sauces and spices. Some of the best stuff are the concoctions that you try on a whim. Add some stuff from the regular grocery....tons of garlic, shallots, green onions, peanut oil....and you are ready to cook up an Asian storm. [p]Just some ideas. I say dive in!
    Have a great Sunday.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy, Thanks for the ideas. Always watch the good chefs on Food TV and think about doing some new dishes. Just need to get off the couch and give em a try. The egg has spurred me into dedicating more time to preparing and cooking some different things. The wife likes all the receipes I've tried from this forum so that makes us both happier. I'll let you know when I get those ribs done. Thanks again to you and all the advisors here.