Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

installing hinge

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a question about installing my hinge it came with some silicone do i apply this to just part of the top band or all over it? do i also need to put it on the bottom band? thanks for the help FINALLY will fire this baby up on saturday and i must say it lokks great on the redwood cart!:)

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    slim pickens, I think the intent is to use it on the top band to the dome surface. This is intended to prevent slippage of the rear portion of the dome. The front is pretty much secured with the dimpled band fitting into the front recess. If the recess is not deep enough to allow the rivet to seat, drill out a tad with a common steel drill bit of appropriate size. Just a touch up of the hole no major removal is necessary. You might put a touch of silicon on that rivet also as a added suggestion. Tighten snuggly and let it set up with the dome down on the lower casting. You should be well seated on the felt and all will be well.
    C~W

• Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    slim pickens,[p]Is it like a hard-curing caulk-like adhesive, or what? I'm sorry for asking this stupid question, but I'd hate to think that you put lubricating silicon oil for the hinge mechanism on the band where it mates to the dome. When I upgraded my bands a couple of years ago, they didn't come with anything like that, and my bands are holding up fine. Must be a new thing???[p]Brant
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Brant,[p]Clear silicone. Not even high temp. It hardens and holds the band a little better, like a glue. You can still easily remove the band after it dries (don't ask). I used it on top and bottom and went all around, heavier in the rear. When you snug up the bands it oozes out and just wipe it off. It can't hurt and it might save the dome if someone tries to force it down. [p]Tim
  • Brant
    Brant Posts: 82
    Tim M,[p]Ah, I figured I was just behind the times. Thanks.[p]Brant