Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drumstick & Wing Rack

thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
dsc02055aL.jpg
<p />Guys & Gals, I did my first cook on this drumstick rack last night. I can already see that it is going to be really handy. I'm the first kid on my block to own one! Uh...I mean 3. I was using a spacer ring and cooking direct at around 250°, these took right at 3 hours for the internal temp to climb to 175°. The doneness was very even. The skin was okay, but I think next time I will ramp up the temperature during the last 45 minutes or an hour to really crisp them up.[p]DSC02044a.jpg[p]DSC02047a.jpg[p]They hold a dozen legs or wings as long as you leave the wing tips on (they clip into the center bar). Two will fit side-by-side on my large Egg (18" grate). Made from stainless steel the actual size is 13" long and 6-1/2" high. There is a slight inward slope to keep the drumsticks in place when carrying or spinning the rack. [p]Made by Bayou Classic, and called a Leg & Wing Rack, I got mine from Northern Tool. The link is below. They were on sale too, $6. They are also available at Lowes, I just don't have one of those.[p]~thirdeye~[p]
[ul][li]Leg Rack[/ul]
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• thirdeye,
    Would I be able to fit 2 of thoses racks on a large?[p]Doug

• 18feb07_1-003.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,
    nice! gotta have it.[p]is that on your medium there? [p]that rack will save grid space... here's 15 drumsticks on my medium with no room to spare.

• thirdeye,
    We sell them here at the store I work at. I've had 2 for 3 years now. I have used them more times than I can count. Since I got my Egg last year cooking wings or legs has never been so easy. The biggest tip i can give is to use Pam for Grilling. It eases clean up.

• Martini Man,
    Yes you can.

• thirdeye
    Martini Man,[p]With the grate in the normal position - yes 2 will fit. Cooking direct with a small fire will give you about 7" from the coals to the drumstick. [p]Using the platesetter, feet up, no grate - yes 2 will fit but the end ones will be hanging over the edge of the platesetter. It might be better to leave the end slots empty and only cook 20.[p]Using the platesetter, feet up with grate - My large will close but the 2 racks rub the dome. 1 is the way to go.[p]Using a 3" spacer ring and cooking direct like in my pictures - 1 is the way to go.[p]~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]No, those pictures are on my large. See the post below with the grate options for getting two racks to fit.[p]~thirdeye~[p]PS I'll take a picture of the grate in the normal position with both racks and post it.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    DSC02056.jpg
    <p />Here are those pictures.[p]The cardboard label is 5-3/4" wide.[p]DSC02057.jpg[p]~thirdeye~[p]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Renee Attili,[p]Thanks for the conformation. So, do you cook with the grate in the normal position? Direct? What are your cook times and temps?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,
    can you go pick up a medium egg and show us how it fits in there? i think it'll fit.

• Pork Butt
    Pork Butt Posts: 95
    thirdeye,[p]Wow thirdeye you allways come up the good ones. I was in lowes tonight with the wife and told her I need two racks. Great price only 4.97 apiece. We had plain to do wings tomorrow anyway for the first time on our large. Will post pictures when setup and done. [p]Pork Butt Mike

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    pulledchix1.jpg
    <p />thirdeye,
    Works pretty good on leg quarters too.
    pulledchix3.jpg
    You can fit two on a large.
    2racks.jpg

• thirdeye
    jake42,[p]Oh yeah! That's what I'm talkin' about. What is your ball park cook time and temperature when cooking with the grate in the normal position?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    thirdeye,
    On the wings and legs 350 for about 25 to 30 minutes. maybe 35. I've used the rack several times and amazingly I've had no problems with burning. I'm horible ay paying attention to the times on that.
    When I make the pulled chicken out of the leg quarters I go 250 for about 4 hours.

• thirdeye
    jake42,[p]Thanks, Two won't fit with my raised grate set-up, I figured the normal position would be no problem for direct cooking. A $5 per dozen legs it's better to cook 24 at a time and vacuum them.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    thirdeye,
    Look close at Jake's pic of the racks, one is the older style and the other is the new one. I have both, you have the new one and only one will fit. The older one will fit two of them. -RP

• thirdeye
    DSC02056.jpg
    <p />AZRP,[p]Hold on pardner, look at this picture.[p]~thirdeye~[p]PS I actually bought 3 because my BDS has a 24" grate. I can cook 36 at once with it.[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• jrterrier
    jrterrier Posts: 37
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]It should fit in a medium, but probably only one. My grate in my medium as a 15" diameter. [p]Happy grilling... the weather is getting better so more often, eh?